Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2009, 07:47 PM  
Weanling Member

House/barn combo...

What are your thoughts?
pros/cons?
any plans out there?

I found this one and I LOVE the 3br but i'd like the stalls to be 12x12
http://www.walkerswest.com/realestate.htm
MsNickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:50 PM  
Long Yearling

oh my goodness I loooove those kind of houses! I saw one on HGTV once and thought "now THAT's my dream home!"
bubbleslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:55 PM  
Weanling Member

That would be great! too bad you couldnt have like six stalls instead. But when foaling season came around one side of the barn could be converted into a foaling stall and then the house would be right there so you wouldnt miss the birth and if anything was needed it would be right there!

that would be great. deffinatley a horse lovers dream home!

A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence. ~
Pam Brown
Silver_Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:57 PM  
Yearling Member

Yup, love the idea. Unfortunately, the husband won't get THAT involved with the horses. He'll do anything but live in the same building as they do!!! Me on the other hand, the closer the better!!!
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:59 PM  
Weanling Member

I found this article...its very informative! http://www.myhorse.com/barn/stables/...rally.aspx#top
MsNickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:06 AM  
Bombproof Member

I like the idea well enough, but I really think these home designs are lacking in any 'charm'.
I know when I visited up north,.., in Maine, homes were designed so that in the cold frozen winters, farmers could access their animals by connecting home and barn.
Those older home designs were were much prettier, with different roof pitches, set into hillsides, etc.
JMO, but I'd like to see some different designs here, by Morton.
I know Morton generally builds well built, quality buildings, usually, their 'finished' barns are some of my favorites.
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:27 AM  
Bombproof Member

A trainer friend of mine has a 2 story, she lives on top and has the barn (8 stalls) under her. She wouldn't have it any other way and has lived there for gosh 20+ years !!! Its all concrete block.

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:56 AM  
Coming two

Send a message via AIM to Jess6092
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnBum View Post
A trainer friend of mine has a 2 story, she lives on top and has the barn (8 stalls) under her. She wouldn't have it any other way and has lived there for gosh 20+ years !!! Its all concrete block.
My aunt and uncle had one like this. It was three story though with the hay loft above the house. They loved that the horses below and hay above made for GREAT insulation and really cut heating costs.
Jess6092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:12 AM  
Kid Safe

My boss has an old tobacco barn. She slowly fixed it up. She has 3 14X14 stalls, a grooming stall, hay room, feed and tack room, etc, wash stall, etc. The stalls face the outside but there is like a 15-20 ft overhang so no wet horses =). She has a total of 3 garage doors (middle of the barn) and then the other side has her tractor and such, and I believe there are afew more garage doors over there. On top she has a little, but very high-scale house complete with heated floors in the bathroom. She has HUGE windows down the middle (the living room and dining room) that look out one way to the front of her property and the other looks over her arena, back pastures, and the lake. Outside botht the huge windows are decks, one in front and one in back with no railings to block the view.

The barn itself is done in stone, it looks very high-scale but it hides a house. Absoultely stunning view, and perfect size for a couple with no kids.

RIP Justin
You stole my heart and for that, I am grateful.
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:17 AM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by redboy View Post
I like the idea well enough, but I really think these home designs are lacking in any 'charm'.
I know when I visited up north,.., in Maine, homes were designed so that in the cold frozen winters, farmers could access their animals by connecting home and barn.
Those older home designs were were much prettier, with different roof pitches, set into hillsides, etc.
JMO, but I'd like to see some different designs here, by Morton.
I know Morton generally builds well built, quality buildings, usually, their 'finished' barns are some of my favorites.

When I visited Maine I definitely drooled over the old farm houses! Many had a standard two story farm house / Garage/stables, in that order. All were attached. Some folks had removed outside walls in the middle of the structure and had what constituted a covered walk or breezeway betwen the LQ and the HQ....
rescueme: maybe your hubby could live with that.

I will definitely have to show those plans to my Daughter. I once told her that my dream home would be an arena size Morton building with stalls on the sides and a two story LQ on the end. She said if I did it they would put me in a home I thnk I would still put a car garage in between, with my luck, too closely connected would equal a horse in the kitchen if someone left the doors open.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:24 AM  
Started

There's a gorgeous one near me for sale that I'd love to buy. It has a beautiful 2000 SF apartment above the barn with 4 bedrooms. The barn itself has 11 stalls and is concrete block. All of it overlooks the fenced 18 acres and pond. Sigh.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:25 AM  
Kid Safe

My first thought though was, what about the smells?

I love my horses, but I don't want to smell like them 24/7, when I'm out for a nice dinner, or anywhere that I'd like to be "cleaned up" a little.

The whole "horse community" thing totally appeals to me, but I don't know that I want to live immediately beside the barn.
Sonseeahray's_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:31 AM  
Started

When we bought our property, we built our barn with the house on top of it. I loved it, it was so convenient and easy. It probably helped that I was 14 and had a plexiglass window in my floor right above my horses stall.

Only con was your could hear when your horse started banging there buckets around.

Rest In Peace My Sweet Angel:
Zoey: April 10, 2009-July 19, 2012
Proud United States Navy wife
FLQuarterhorse39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:19 AM  
Kid Safe

Totally unrelated post alert!!

FLQuarterhorse39, your signature line is SO FUNNY! and so true!
Sonseeahray's_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:28 AM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonseeahray's_girl View Post
My first thought though was, what about the smells?

I love my horses, but I don't want to smell like them 24/7, when I'm out for a nice dinner, or anywhere that I'd like to be "cleaned up" a little.

The whole "horse community" thing totally appeals to me, but I don't know that I want to live immediately beside the barn.
It would truely require a diligent barn cleaning schedule.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:31 AM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLQuarterhorse39 View Post
When we bought our property, we built our barn with the house on top of it. I loved it, it was so convenient and easy. It probably helped that I was 14 and had a plexiglass window in my floor right above my horses stall.

Only con was your could hear when your horse started banging there buckets around.

OMG! A horse loving girl's dream home!!! Love it, love it, love it! I may have to add that to my dream arena/house plans! Never know when an oil well might come in.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:33 AM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Yup, love the idea. Unfortunately, the husband won't get THAT involved with the horses. He'll do anything but live in the same building as they do!!! Me on the other hand, the closer the better!!!

Ditto.

I lived above a barn in Seabrook, SC for a couple of years and loved it. You could hear the horses munching hay all night long and you could pop down in your jammies to check everyone (convenient for foal watches!)

Although now (with children) I would have reservations about living so close to the rats and mice!
canteringkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:26 PM  
Coming two

We have a house/barn combo. Ours is one level. We have 4 stalls, the door out of the barn goes into the tack/laundry room and then you go into the house. Our floors are painted concrete and most of our walls are tongue and groove.
We love it.
gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:29 PM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy View Post
We have a house/barn combo. Ours is one level. We have 4 stalls, the door out of the barn goes into the tack/laundry room and then you go into the house. Our floors are painted concrete and most of our walls are tongue and groove.
We love it.
What, no pictures??
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:19 AM  
Newborn Member

Send a message via AIM to Santorin Send a message via MSN to Santorin Send a message via Yahoo to Santorin
Yeah, we need pictures, gypsy.
Santorin is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate