Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2009, 10:55 AM  
Coming two

Send a message via Yahoo to hezzer
Round pen size

We are finally going to be putting in a round pen here at home this spring, and hubby and I have different ideas of size. So to help us out I thought I would ask my fellow HTers for their opinions. I want at least 55', and hubby says 40' would be right. So what do you all think? I already have a smaller round pen at our other property, and its just to small for comfort. Thanks for your help.

When you look for the good in others, you discover the best in yourself!

Presence is more than just being there!
hezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:56 AM  
Weanling Member

Some like a 40' round pen because it allows them more control over the horse, but 60' is found more. I have a 60 and love it. 40' is also too small to ride in.
EquinePhotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:01 AM  
pvf
Bombproof Member

60'.. is a good size.. if it gets to be too big to work a horse on the ground put a lungline on the horse and make them work a little bit shorter on the line.

www.prairieviewfarms.net Raising Reg. Paints and Quarter horses
pvf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:05 AM  
Weanling Member

Yep - that's what I do.
EquinePhotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:12 AM  
Bombproof Member

40' to me is small. 60' is the avg.

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:19 AM  
Halter broke

We have a 50' due to lack of more space. For lunging and groundwork it is fine but for riding-I do not feel it is big enough, it seems like you go 2 strides and your into a corner! I would suggest a 60' if you have room for it.
lookinforhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:50 AM  
Seasoned

I've always been told anything smaller then 60 is not a good idea due to safety. I guess it depends on the horse/s that will be in it... if I were only going to round pen my walker who doesn't act out, I feel I could be safe in a smaller diameter but yet I've had others that I'd not want to be in any smaller due to their behavior- kickng, rearing, twisting, lunging, bucking etc.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:56 AM  
Greenbroke Member

in my roundpen research, I have found that if you are working young horses then 40 or smaller and if riding 60 or larger. I know it all breaks down to personal preference. for riding I would definitely go 60-70, just give enough room when you are loping and such
Old 04-22-2009, 11:59 AM  
Weanling Member

I have a 60', 50' to me is too small for me.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:05 PM  
pvf
Bombproof Member

Jazzy thats true but if you use pannels you can take a couple of them out and make it smaller if your working with foals or ponies.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:06 PM  
Coming two

I have a round pen that can go up to 60' with the addition of a couple of panels... right now I have it at about 50' and it seems to be plenty of area.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:11 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvf View Post
Jazzy thats true but if you use pannels you can take a couple of them out and make it smaller if your working with foals or ponies.
that's a very good point! it would be better to have a bigger pen that you could just make smaller if need be.
anybody every put a round pen in an arena? I have a SMALL indoor (60 x 100) that we are revamping. I would like to put a smaller round pen inside so that I could work the youngins even if the weather isn't cooperating. Do you all think this is just too small of an area to work around?
Old 04-22-2009, 12:29 PM  
pvf
Bombproof Member

Jazzy - if you don't need the supper heavy panels you could set it up on one end and then if you decided that your going to ride for awhile instead you could just take it down.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:03 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvf View Post
Jazzy - if you don't need the supper heavy panels you could set it up on one end and then if you decided that your going to ride for awhile instead you could just take it down.
this is what I originally was going to do. but I might be going back and forth between training and riding, I kind of need a more permanent fixture. I just found out that I might FINALLY be able to get a good deal on some panels, I'm just not sure on how many yet
Old 04-22-2009, 08:18 PM  
Coming two

Send a message via Yahoo to hezzer
Thank you all! We just got our ties today, and we measured out different distances, and 40' was just too small for me. We looked at 55' too, and that is better, but I think I will go with 60. I have a two year old that I would like to start some light work with this fall, and an older mare that is in need of some ground work too. So I would rather go bigger than suffer with a small one. Thanks again everyone.

When you look for the good in others, you discover the best in yourself!

Presence is more than just being there!
hezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:30 PM  
Started

Our current round pen is 45'. (We have 50' x 80' and a 100' x 200' pens too) The 45' pen is big enough to ride and lunge in. Our quarter horses are between 14 and 15 hands so it is easy for them to work in but for the larger breed horses I would want it slightly larger. For breaking and riding the young horses I like a smaller pen (less room to get carried away in - in the event that they do decide to act silly) but if I were riding broke horses I would want 70' or bigger. If I could only have one pen it would be a 60' and compromise.
lopintoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate