Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2009, 08:12 PM  
Halter broke

How many acres, and how many horses?

Just wondering how many acres you guys have? and how many horses on those acres?

The 30 acre acreage that I really wanted, sold... I found another place that I really like but it is only 5 acres... not sure if that will be enough or not... ? would love to hear what other people have
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:16 PM  
Bombproof Member

How many horses and are they going to be kept on it 24/7/365 ? How is the soil ? Does the grass grow lush ?

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:25 PM  
Greenbroke Member

6 horses and a pony on 15 1/2 acres

Peace!! I wish the people of the world could get along as well as the animals in my backyard.
crittermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:27 PM  
Greenbroke Member

2 horses on 3.5 acres. I know that the pasture is not all that big. I supplement with hay year round.
Depends on where you are buying your acerage. The County of Parkland has rules on how many "animal units"/acre that you are allowed. I believe that 2 horses equals 1 animal unit.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:27 PM  
Yearling Member

In IL, you are only legally allowed to have one horse per acre.
Amjzimm19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:40 PM  
Weanling Member

14 acres and 4 horses and a pony and 3 cows

rented pasture has 9 acres and 6 cows
creeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:16 PM  
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amjzimm19 View Post
In IL, you are only legally allowed to have one horse per acre.
The whole state has a law?

In WI, each town has a law. One horse per acre is the law in my town. Where my feed store owner lives, you can only have 2 horses, they don't care how much land you have. Growing up we had one horse, two ponies and two large goats on 5 acres. We had to sub hay periodically throughout the summer. I believe one acre of grazing area per horse is a good standard.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:29 PM  
Welcome Wagon

We have a total of 3 1/3 acres (not all of it is pasture), and 2 horses. It does require that I do a 12 hour on/12 hour off rotation (I just bring the horses in off the pasture at night and then let them back out in the morning) or they will over-graze it.

Proud mom to:
Zena - 10 year old black & white APHA Tobiano Paint mare
Sis - 16 year old grade POA mare
In loving memory of Roxy (gray OTTB) - 00-08. RIP my sweet girl.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:48 PM  
Long Yearling

A bit over a hundred acres for 3 horses and currently 9 calves. The pasture is split though. Six sections. Right now my three horses have about 20 acres to themselves.
Korven Kuningas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:48 PM  
Newborn Member

as far as IL

each county has there own limit,

the county that we are in has no limit,

as long as you have food and shelter then you are fine

we had as much as 25 horses on 10 acres,
or as little as 4 horses,

i would ask the county if they have a limit, most places is 1 horse to 2 acres for the first horse, then 1 acre per horse.
lookingfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:16 AM  
Bombproof Member

It's recommended that, ideally, you have a minimum of 1-2 acres per horse/livestock for 'proper' pasture maintainence.
That being said, many counties, provinces, etc. only allow so many livestock per acre (at least where I live).
In my county, you need a minimum of 5 acres to have horses.
And also, livestock is defined in 'units' (I think, 2 sheep count as 'one unit', a one horse counts as 'one unit',etc.),
so it's so many units per acreage.
Probably best if you called your county extension office and asked them to answer your question, JMO
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:29 AM  
Kid Safe

We have 40 acres and 5 horses. Some of our acreage is pasture, some is "pasture in waiting" (needs to be re-seeded) and some is hay fields harvested anually. We have about 15-17 acres of it for pasture, and our grazing season runs from May to end of October usually. We do not ever need to supplement with hay, we probably have more pasture than we need, but better to not have it overgrazed.

You also need to consider quality of pasture. My friend has 13 acres for two horses, but most of what's growing is crap and weeds, so not really quality pasture.

You can get away with about 2 acres/horse for pasture IF the pasture has been properly seeded, if your soil is fairly fertile, if you rotate regularly, and if you do regular pasture maintenance (picking up poop, mowing down any weeds).
Sonseeahray's_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:09 AM  
Seasoned

I have four horses on just under six acres (including buildings).

My rule of thumb is two acres per horse if you want pasture. Obviously, I have to supplement with hay year round since I don't have enough.

And as mentioned before, you need good pasture to make that work.
Red Gate Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:17 AM  
Started

We own 10 acres -- about 5 or 6 of that is fenced into four separate pastures for two horses. I keep them in the smallest lot during the day and rotate at night between the other three pastures. I scoop poop daily and mow the fields once every two weeks to keep the weeds down and grass shorter.

I've been doing this all summer and still have plenty of grass in all the fields. I could probably get away with adding another horse but right now we only have two stalls.

There's more to life than horses ----- but NOT much!

Valerie62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:33 AM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korven Kuningas View Post
A bit over a hundred acres for 3 horses and currently 9 calves. The pasture is split though. Six sections. Right now my three horses have about 20 acres to themselves.

<====== Jealous Lucky YOU !!

Do you know how much 20ac by me goes for .... millions.

1.14 ac is in the $80k range !!

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:35 AM  
Weanling Member

I have 4 acres and 5 horses. I do have round bales during the spring and summer, and square bales during the winter months. Everyone is fat and happy.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:01 AM  
Started

I am in eastern Kansas - 5 acres - but that includes house, barn and dog yard(s), so probably about 3 1/2 acres of actual horse pasture - 3 horses. The pasture is split into two, and we have a large dry lot. Horses on grass about 12 hours a day, and then in dry lot at night. We have a large bale in the dry lot all year round.
alliebath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:02 AM  
Started

Right now I have 4 horses on 12 acres. We have 23 but haven't had it all fenced. The 12 keeps them in great shape year round. I stop feeding hay and grain in April and don't start up until October. My pasture stays pretty good all through the winter as well.
Old 09-11-2009, 10:57 AM  
Long Yearling

In my area of SD it seems to be a pretty good rule of thumb to go by the 1 horse to 1 or 1 1/2 acres depending on the grass and soil. 3 horses on two pastures that are rotated. One pasture is about an acre the other pasture is 15 acres. As you can guess it doesn't take the three of them long to mow down the 1 acre
WickedNag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:14 AM  
Halter broke

4 minis, 5 horses, and 5 goats. all on 3 1/2 acres. the luxury of full-time pasture is pretty rare around here unfortunately.

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate