Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2008, 08:08 AM  
Yearling Member

Send a message via AIM to Lucky1999
Do "Fly Predators" really work?

We are considering investing in the "fly predators" this year. Do they really work?
Old 03-17-2008, 08:19 AM  
pvf
Bombproof Member

we had this discussion last year on here. I have never used them personally but I heard that they work great.
I think we are considering looking into them also.. I forgot all about it though

www.prairieviewfarms.net Raising Reg. Paints and Quarter horses
pvf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:31 AM  
Yearling Member

I heard they work great but they mess up the bug hierchy. Like they had less flies but more of a different kind of bug thing.... It was like 2 years ago that I had the conversation with this gal and I don't remember the details, but it was something along that line.

Real helpful huh???

LOL
Horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:50 AM  
Started

We are starting our third year using them at work...they work, but you have to order enough.
so far this spring I haven't seen any
k

“Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words.”
St Francis
beezwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:01 PM  
Kid Safe

I have always wondered about those too.I wanted to try them but, the flys weren't too bad here in TN like they are in NY.Now if I could just find something to get rid of fire ants!
Old 03-17-2008, 01:07 PM  
Started

I have been using them for about 2 yrs straight now and at first I thought they were doing a good job but this year I'm not so sure. The flies seem to be horrible already!!!!!!!! Of course this is Florida but their so bad right I am thinking that the fly predators aren't working. I also clean out my whole pasture every night of manure so there is never lots of it standing around for the flies to get at. My horses won't keep fly masks on they manage to scrape them off on the trees somehow I'll keep using the fly predators cause like I said the first 2 years their did seem to be less flies. (maybe their just immune now???)
Stormy's Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:20 PM  
Weanling Member

We have been using them for 3 years now, and they DO seem to cut back on the fly population. Just be sure to follow the directions for "application"...... If you put them out too early in the day, you will only succeed in feeding the birds and ants.

Pictures? Yeah, I gots LOTS of pictures.... http://imageevent.com/kopycat/horses
Rob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:43 AM  
Yearling Member

Send a message via AIM to Lucky1999
We are in a heavily saturated horse area, with farms on all sides. I do not think anyone currently uses the "fly predators."

My concern with spending the money on them is that the flies will just come to the farm from other breeding sites nearby.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:01 AM  
Coming two

They did not work for us last year... We won't be using them again.
Promise Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:04 AM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promise Ranch View Post
They did not work for us last year... We won't be using them again.

Same here. Waste of money.
BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:13 AM  
Weanling Member

I use mineral with the fly bait in it and it does help but if you have neighbors with livestock and they don't use it the results are not as good.
walkerfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:34 AM  
Weanling Member

We use them and they did cut back on the population alot. But when the predetors only fly 100 yrds and flies fly 300 yrds so if you have farms close to you it kinda dont work.

http://www.barnculture.com/Huckabuck
http://www.myspace.com/huckabuck100
Huckabuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:39 AM  
Long Yearling

We were going to use them, but our vet said it was a waste of money. From what he said, the fly predators do kill flies, but they are not the biting type of flies??? His almost exact words were something like: "They don't kill the flies that bother horses and people." So we listened and didn't get any.

Be careful using the mineral block that contains fly repellant. The directions say that the block should last 10-12 horses several weeks (something like that), and my two finished the entire thing before the week was up.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.\" -Jim Elliot
Luv2Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:43 AM  
Bombproof Member

I have never tried this, but I have seen it done..........If you hang a clear bag (like a zip lock bag) filled with water and sugar, it keeps the flies away ..... Anyone tried it ?
BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:24 AM  
Yearling Member

I just started using the Rabon blocks (maybe cost between $15-$20? Hubby paid for them). Two horses went through one block in two weeks. I read here that they work well if used early and consistantly but thats alot of blocks!
DackelMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:38 AM  
Seasoned

Send a message via Yahoo to Horses&Soccer
My BO feeds the horses garlic, we still have flies, but they don't bite. They land then leave. His ex-gelding, now mine, will NOT stand to be fly sprayed, so they started feeding the garlic, it worked fairly well so they stuck with it.

Some days I just want to be a missing person
Horses&Soccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:34 AM  
Coming two

My mom used the clear bag of plain water on her back patio last year and it seemed to help some but not all. I am not sure if it would be enough to keep them away from horses....just too tempting.

Fire ants: Take a shovel full of dirt from two different mounds and dump the dirt from one on another....ants are territorial and will kill ants from another colony. Works. Also self rising corn meal...can't digest it and makes them explode supposedly..I havent tried that one yet but alot cheaper than ant killer and won't hurt horses.

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Luvridn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:55 AM  
Long Yearling

I used them for the first itme last year and I saw a difference and I was even using less than I was supposed to and started late. This year I got the proper amount and I am starting on time so I hope they will do an even better job. I also didnt use them in the dog area which I think would have helped more so I am going to make sure I do this year.

"To many, the words love, hope, and dreams are synonymous with horses" - Anonymous
ilovepaints1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:02 PM  
Yearling Member

I tried them and wasn't satisfied with the results. You also have to be careful of any application of pesticides, including regular fly spray, as it can kill the fly predators.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:21 PM  
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnBum View Post
I have never tried this, but I have seen it done..........If you hang a clear bag (like a zip lock bag) filled with water and sugar, it keeps the flies away ..... Anyone tried it ?
Keep the flies away, but have a million ants

I used the fly predators (Spaulding Lab's) and they worked great. I stopped getting them cause I lost my debit card and never got around to giving them the new number. There is an "generic" fly predator and they come in a paper bag and half are dead by the time you get them.

PaintsQH is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate