Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2008, 10:39 AM  
Weanling Member

Rest Area/horse Transporters

I have been toying with the idea of setting up a HORSE REST AREA on my place for anyone traveling with horses and in need of a place to take horses off a trailer for a break or for any type of emergencies. Any ideas or suggestions out there? I am thinking the best way to make my place known would be to contact some of the Horse Transporters listed on the net??? Advertise in local papers?? I don't travel with horses, but I know most of you do, so I am sure you could give me a lot of view points on the matter. Please share your thoughts and concerns with me. My location is not far from the interstate..would be easy to get to. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

I am so busy, I don't know whether I've found my lead rope or I've lost my horse!
"In God We Trust"
purecountry1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:45 AM  
Pasture Pet

I know when I travel with my horses we stop at a rest stop that has access to water and a large grassy area where we can take them out of the trailer and run them around and stretch there legs for a little while.

A couple of other things PCC and I where talking about was having a pen or paddocks set up, where the horses could be set loose with some picknic tables set up next to them.

The rest stop that we stop at also has a resturant there and they are more than happy to have the horses out and tied to the trailer while we go in and have our lunch and the horse have theres.

They actually came out and talked to us on how they could make it more "horse friendly" when we hauled up on Friday.

Night Fire Ranch
Gotta Love Duns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:45 AM  
Started

http://www.horseandmuletrails.com/

This is a site that we used to find overnight facilities when traveling to Colorado a couple of years ago. One place we stayed had stalls with attached pens - not fancy, but very nice. The second had stalls in their barn and we were allowed to turn the horses out in a large round pen to stretch their legs. Both places were set up to plug in our trailer (no water, but electricity) for the night. The second place also was a B & B, so if you were not hauling your LQ trailer with you, they had a room in their home.
alliebath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 10:51 AM  
Started

Send a message via Yahoo to GreyDot
That's a wonderful idea! I always feel so sorry for the poor horses stuck in the hot trailers, while their owners are having lunch at rest areas. I bet you'd have LOTS of customers!

The only thing I'd really consider VERY seriously is hygiene. You don't know whose horse is carrying WHAT, so that's something I'd look at very carefully. Maybe have disinfectant spray on-hand, or something like that, and if you have 'rest pens', you may want to make them pipe, which is non-porous and be hosed down. Also, watch the footing in the loading/unloading area, and I'd have it gated, so that the horse is unloaded behind closed gates, in case it gets loose. Have some kind of provision for manure removal, too, and a place to put it, and water buckets that can be scrubbed easily. Water access I'm sure you already have. Maybe a sand pen where a horse can lie down and roll, that would be soft on their feet after all the standing in a trailer?

You could probably make a fortune selling all kinds of basic travel necessities, too, everything from extra halters to lead ropes and fly spray, or shipping boots and horse treats.

Good luck with it! I'll look for it if we drive your way
Old 08-05-2008, 10:55 AM  
Pasture Pet

See when we travel we bring our own buckets, and haul away any manure the horses drop. But I guess not everyone would so GreyDot you have a very good point!

Night Fire Ranch
Old 08-05-2008, 10:59 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to Crookedblaze
That sounds like such a good idea. I agree with Greydot, I think that you could make a fortune! I would have loved that for when we hauled Rocket from the 4 corners to San Diego.

Four things greater than all things are...Women and Horses and Power and War -Rudyard Kipling
Crookedblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:08 AM  
Started

I forgot... you need to sell brats or sausages on a bun, and cold drinks, in case we're passing your place. And ice cream and carrots
Old 08-05-2008, 11:17 AM  
Seasoned

Send a message via Yahoo to Diamond_Y
I would have some serious discussions with my insurance provider, that could be a major expense.
Diamond_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:40 AM  
Seasoned

What about proof of vaccines, health papers, or coggins?

What if someone has a stallion?

I would think you'd have to have separate areas for each family, I know I wouldn't want my horse in a field with other horses, or even sharing a fence. I'd rather have a small stall with attached paddock completely separate.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:44 AM  
Seasoned

Send a message via Yahoo to Diamond_Y
Before you jump into this, I would take a road trip and visit some other facilities and see how they are set up, ask them questions about what they really like, what they would change if they could, etc.
Diamond_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:01 PM  
Weanling Member

My ideas were..each horse have it's own stall/paddock.Separate/secured area for a stallion..area to turn a horse out to really stretch & etc. Would make sure people had current vaccines,health papers,coggins & etc. I don't know how far someone would be willing to drive to rest their horses. I am not right on the interstate, but approx 5-7 miles. The advise on talking with my insurance company is a great idea..thanks..I wouldn't make someone dispose of their manure, and them having their own water buckets are a great idea. Thanks for all the great input..keep comments coming. Question is..How far would you be willing to drive to rest your horse at a nice facility?

I am so busy, I don't know whether I've found my lead rope or I've lost my horse!
"In God We Trust"
Old 08-05-2008, 12:06 PM  
Started

5-7 miles is not very far from the highway. Normally, I don't like to load/unload much during a trip, if I can help it, because that's when most accidents happen (statistically), but if I could pull into a secure area after a long day's drive, and let the horses rest in a nice, clean, safe area, I'd go the few extra miles do it.

Would you allow people to stay overnight, in a tent or in their trailer or truck, and would you provide a portable toilet or something like that? It would add a major inconvenience for you, but would sure be useful... Just a thought
Old 08-05-2008, 12:11 PM  
Weanling Member

Yes, I would allow owners to stay with their horses. I know I wouldn't want to leave mine in a unfamiliar location. I have a septic tank already located on the piece of property, all I would have to do is add a potty room for humans..For those of you who do travel, what do people charge you to rest at their place..for a couple of hours??? overnight?? days??? any ideas

"In God We Trust"
Old 08-05-2008, 12:16 PM  
Pasture Pet

For us the max trip we have taken is 11 hours. So at the halfway point we hit a public rest stop and unload the horses there. For us there is no charge as it is a public rest stop along the side of the hiway. So I'm not too much help there.

Night Fire Ranch
Old 08-05-2008, 02:30 PM  
Coming two

Quote:
Originally Posted by purecountry1953 View Post
I have been toying with the idea of setting up a HORSE REST AREA on my place for anyone traveling with horses and in need of a place to take horses off a trailer for a break or for any type of emergencies. Any ideas or suggestions out there? I am thinking the best way to make my place known would be to contact some of the Horse Transporters listed on the net??? Advertise in local papers?? I don't travel with horses, but I know most of you do, so I am sure you could give me a lot of view points on the matter. Please share your thoughts and concerns with me. My location is not far from the interstate..would be easy to get to. Thanks in advance for any and all input.
Thats a good idea to contact the large transport services. Most of them have told me they have places across the country set-op for rest stops.

I know Nationwide comes to the Texas area twice a week. They have some place out near Waller they can unload and rest the horses. They carry 10 in their bus and more in the larger semi. Horses are kept in seperate paddocks at the stop-overs. Having a sleep room or 2 for drivers like truck stops do is necessary aswell.

Unloading is when they need to clean the manure out of the trailers.

Having a manure dumpster is something any horse transporter who is on stopover needs available. Those travel stalls and the horses get dirty pretty fast. If you can get a lot of horse poo -Starting a compost would be a very good side business

They would also need a covered place to clean up horses. Horses are kept seperate at all turn-outs Rooms for drivers to sleep. Be like running a truck stop for horses without the gas. You could be a gas station too!

I stayed at a small cabin one night, with a paddock dry sand by a state park. It was like a mini hotel room.real clean, No hay or human food. Use my own buckets and it was 90.00 a night +30.00 a horse.

Last edited by Sunlei : 08-05-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Sunlei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:50 PM  
Started

We don't ever stop and unload on a straight through trip. The two stopovers were for overnights - and I think we paid by the horse and I am guessing it was around $10 a horse per night - and we only were there one night. 5 miles off the highway would be no big deal.

Both places we stayed over we were the only ones overnighting - so our horses had no contact with other horses - though they do when we camp. Many times they are stalled right next to an unknown horse - so catching "cooties" is not a huge concern for us. I always have a negative Coggins and that is what most places require.
alliebath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:15 PM  
Kid Safe

As greydot stated, hygiene/disease is a concern. Also, insurance.
ahlihaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Boarding / Farm Upkeep & Real Estate