Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2007, 04:04 PM  
Long Yearling

mare in heat + gelding mount = ???

O.k., I have a couple of quick questions, but a bit of a story before the questions.

I was out at the barn a couple of days ago, and when grooming my mare it was obvious that something had been all over her back. At first I wondered if someone had ridden her because the only thing I could think of was saddle marks--serious-riding-type-of saddle marks. And she had what looked to be almost a couple of bites on her lower neck and shoulders. But I know no one at my barn would ride her, so I'm left thinking, "Hmmmm." But I finished, put her up, and grained her.

Then that night I receive a phone call from one of my friends at the barn saying that one of the geldings had mounted her and was actually inside her! Aaaaah, that's what it was. From what I can gather, this guy was on her and they couldn't Plus, it happened in the loafing shed, which just wasn't a good situation for horses or people. I do wish someone had left me a note on the whiteboard, but at least they eventually separated the two and made sure my mare was o.k. (I believe one of the ladies said the gelding was smiling. ) So needless to say, we've separated the mare and gelding permanently, and all seems o.k.

Edited to add: I asked the gelding owner about the gelding. He bought the horse from the original owners, who say he was fully gelded. The horse was gelded at 2 and is now 9.

My questions are these:

1. How dangerous is it from a sanitary stand point for the mare that this took place?

2. My mare never stopped her "heat cycle" all winter. In fact, she's quite randy about every third week and plays quite the wanton woman with anyone/horse near her, even when it's well below freezing. Is there something wrong with her? I mean, seriously, shouldn't she have given it a rest during the winter months? And is the winkin'-and blinkin' display every 3 weeks or so normal?

3. I know there's been a thread about proud cut v. cryptorchid (?), but I never quite understood from the posts one thing: does the gelding will actually do the deed or does he just "perform" until he gets tired?

4. What would you do if you were me? Permanently keep them separated? Or do you think I can keep with together in the herd until she comes into season, which I prefer because we've only got 11 horses together?

Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.\" -Jim Elliot
Luv2Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:17 PM  
Yearling Member

You should probably ask a vet about the sanitary factor because I know that a gelding fooling around like that can cause the mare to develop an infection...which is bad.

Sorry I can't help more than that, but I would call your vet and ask them just to be on the safe side. A vaginal infection cannot be a pleasant experiance for your horse or you.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:22 PM  
Yearling Member

My gelding has been seen mounting a mare last spring... ask GottaLoveDuns she whitnessed it !
We also have another young gelding in the pasture who "thinks" he's a stallion and has been "caught" with the girls...

I thinks as long as they don't hurt each other they should live it... It's natural ... just my opinion!
Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:52 PM  
Pasture Pet

I ave seen geldings and alpha mares mount other mares in heat - it won't usually hurt them and it sure makes it easy to tell who is in for breeding

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:08 PM  
Pasture Pet

Well I don't look at it exactly the same.
I will not have a gelding climbing the mares. It may be natural but it can become an issue.
I seperate horn dogs.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:16 PM  
Long Yearling

I will never forget the first time I saw a gelding mount my Appy mare. I was 13 and was horrified. I remember telling my mom to "get him off her" and then my mom laughing at me.

I never worried about either of my mares. And Rhett really doesnt seem to know that he "can" mount a mare. all those years racing I guess
RhettsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 06:44 PM  
Seasoned

I would make sure, if you can't separate them and you're not comfortable doing nothing, that the gelding is at least clean in "that" area.

My gelding, who used to be a stud, occassionally mounts my mare. When she's in heat, she'll go through a fence to get to him, so separation isn't an option. I just keep Kayode clean and keep an eye on Leila for any signs of a problem. I've noticed, during the course of the summer, that his desire seemed to go away...like he got bored with her.
wildcat180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:08 PM  
Halter broke

I bought a gelding last spring that mounts my mares, he also taught my other gelding to do the same thing. I never had any problems with them. They also seemed to stop as time went on.
The stable I work at however, keeps mares and geldings separate.
I've also seen many mares keep their heat cycles all winter. I don't see any cause for concern, but ask a vet if it makes you uncomfortable.
MountainView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:37 PM  
Started

I had a friend that had a fully cut gelding that would always mount and do the deed with his mares. He was wanting to breed one of them and couldn't figure out why he never saw her showing the signs. Well, one day he caught them at it. I guess the gelding was keeping her satisfied.

My mare doesn't stop her heat cycles during the winter either. She winks at everything. It does get a bit annoying.

Always make sure your fences are horse high, pig tight and bull strong.
sswtness75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:24 PM  
Started

My gelding is "the one" at the barn where I board. I don't think he does it very often, but I've caught him a few times, particularly when there's a new mare in the pasture.

The answer a few of your questions:

My mare hasn't stopped going into heat either, though I don't know if that's typical or not.

A crypt gelding still has one retained testicle. Obviously he can't get a mare pregnant except in the rarest of rare cases, but he has raging hormone levels which cause him to act studdy. The best thing is just to have the operation done. You can test to see if a gelding is crypt by testing the testosterone levels.
almost_mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:57 AM  
Long Yearling

Thanks for the responses. You all have put my mind at ease a little. I think I will contact my vet just to see about the possibility of infection. I hadn't thought about that so thanks Nynx, for the suggestions. I'm like you TMom; it shouldn't bother me because obviously both were content with it, but I worry about how it might affect the other horses. Plus, I sure didn't like what she looked like with the potential bite marks and hoof prints all over her back. In addition, one of the older geldings had a few bit marks and we know the "mounter" likes to chase him away from my mare. The weird thing is that there are two other mares that don't have this affect on the boys.

And thanks those of you who shared about your mares' cycles. I've never personally owned a mare (not counting the old family mare of my childhood), and when I bought Spirit, she was in foal. I have learned that I won't buy another mare in foal again. I love this mare, and she's got a great look and personality, but she definitely changed personality when she no longer had a baby to deal with. She's a bit more, um, horny and temperamental. She was an absolute dream during pregnancy and during the weaning, but is a lot more to handle now. She's actually the horse my daughter rides and shows, but I think if we'd gotten her now, my daughter wouldn't have liked her, maybe wouldn't have been able to handle her. As it was, she was a great transition from a pony, and my daughter's riding ability and confidence level have matured to a point that she can now handle her.

But I digress. Thanks again for the feedback. I think maybe the best thing will be to separate the two of them during the few days of the cycle that she really turns him on!

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.\" -Jim Elliot
Luv2Ride is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Breeding & Genetics