Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2011, 10:41 PM  
Greenbroke Member

moving barn cats?

We are looking at moving in the next couple months. We will be moving approximately 3.5 hours away from where we are now. I have 4 barn kitties that I will definitely be taking with me. They are all love bugs and I can't imagine NOT having them around. so how the heck do you move barn cats? I would hate to get there, let them loose and never see them again. all my cats are fixed and utd on shots/worming/flea tick protected. I would be just heartbroken if I lost even one of them.
where I am now I have multiple barns and really they don't go that far. I can go outside almost any time of day and call them and they come running. new place only has one barn, which I worry will confuse them.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:51 PM  
Weanling Member

Any time we have moved barn cats or even have cats given to us from town,I take them in a large cage,like dog crate,set them in the barn and feed and water them for a few days in there,course litter pan or just lots of straw,they learn the smells and you coming and going,never had any problems of them just takeing off speciall since they are tame.I usually make sure when I let them out i have time to spend out with them.
Appsrcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:55 PM  
Halter broke

I don't know about barn cats, but when you move house cats to a new home you're suppose to take along a towel or rag that has their scent on it and rub it around the new place so that it smells like home. I suppose that the same would work with barn cats. get them accustomed to a blanket at home and then take the blanket and put in the the room you want them to call home at the new place.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:07 PM  
Greenbroke Member

good idea with the blanket. I was thinking about doing some large dog cages in the barn to start out with. I could get 2 so that way they wouldn't be all crowded in one. they've never been all together in one barn, they are kind of paired off into buddies. I worry there will be some turmoil when they are released.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:36 PM  
Coming two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appsrcool View Post
Any time we have moved barn cats or even have cats given to us from town,I take them in a large cage,like dog crate,set them in the barn and feed and water them for a few days in there,course litter pan or just lots of straw,they learn the smells and you coming and going,never had any problems of them just takeing off speciall since they are tame.I usually make sure when I let them out i have time to spend out with them.
We have never relocated barn cats but tried to introduce them to our place both young ones & older ones.The young ones do best. Keeping them in there new aboad/barn for a few days closed in with familiar items/scents,food & water. By the time you let them roam everything is new & this new place/barn is all that is now familiar so they adopt their new home/barn it is their new secure place.
Wish you the best with your move!!
paintedpastures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:42 PM  
Greenbroke Member

3 I've raised from kittens....2 of those are about 4 yrs old and the other is only about a year. the 4th kitty I have no clue on his age.....he just showed up one day and never left. I have a feeling he was dumped.
how long do you think they should stay in the cages? the youngest is going to go stir crazy....he's a little nutzo to begin with If I had the money I wish I could build them their own "cat house" with both indoor and outdoor space.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:18 AM  
Coming two

don't have to have them in cages just enclosed in the new barn,just like a house cat that you don't let out of the house for a few days.Let them get the feel of the new barn keep the food water & familiar stuff in there with them,then when you think they seem comfortable with there new digs allow them out.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:21 AM  
Greenbroke Member

they would be able to get out of the barn pretty easily, even closed up. it's something I'm going to eventually fix but won't be able to do right away.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:45 AM  
Kid Safe

Is there a room, any room, that is secure? Feed room, tack room, whatever?

You don't have to be crazy to be my friend,
but it helps!!!
sundancer maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:44 AM  
Bombproof Member

Never done it myself, but I think I would prefer the cage approach ... giving them access to see everything around them ... maybe even moving the cage to different places each day and doing this for a week or so.

I'm pretty sure that as long as they know where the food is coming from, you won't have a problem with them wandering off.

I'd be just a little more concerned over what kinds of critters will be in the area, making sure they are safe in their cage, and have safe places to hang out once they are let go.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:17 AM  
Coming two

Well I know my Barn cats would totally hate & stress out if they where in some cage,give them reason to flee the first opportunity they got out.They are not like crating a dog {then again I have never done that but know lots that do}
Old 07-23-2011, 09:18 AM  
Weanling Member

Jazzy, I would not recommend crating them... as others have said, they aren't dogs. We did this approach once and as soon as we let them out, three ran away Next time we moved we just put food/water in the normal bowls they had, we also did the blanket trick... well, we used an old fleece shirt. They'd sleep on it and when we took it with us, they'd sleep on it again. Either way, you run the risk of loosing some/all but IMO putting food/water and their 'blanket' out should work. They'll always come back for food
akustelega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:22 AM  
Greenbroke Member

all of the ones I have that were kittens, have been caged before. I have a big room in one of my barns that I let them out during the day, but at night they slept in a big cage. mine are all pretty laid back, but I'm sure the move and such is going to stress them out.

the barn on the property is really nice from the outside, brand new. but the inside doesn't really have a whole lot in it. 5 stalls and that's it. I plan on building a tack/feed room and wash rack inside, but that will come much later. there is plenty of open room for the kitties to be.
as far as other critters, I didn't see anything alarming the last time I was out. the house and barn are both pretty new and it's on 18 acres. I'm sure there are the usual nosy critters...especially since the barn can be accessed by that type of creature easily. but probably once I move the horses in and and all the hustle and bustle going on....those will high-tail it out of there.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:04 PM  
Weanling Member

Why not bed them down in one of the stalls for a week? Not sure they style of stall you have but if there are openings just staple gun some chicken wire over it for the time being. Using the staple gun and chicken wire shouldn't damage anything, easy to remove when they kitties can go and strong enough to keep kitties in while they adjust.

Otherwise I'd do the big dog crate idea. We used to do it transporting and housing rescue cats. Grab a board and pop two nails in either end and place it in the crate like a shelf so you can put litter under the little shelf, bed on shelf food and water by the door.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:22 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I do like the idea of adding shelves/levels to the cages!!!

unfortunately, the stall idea won't work. the front of the stalls are panels for right now. the previous owner started the stalls and the sides/dividers are done....but she just put panels on the front to make them usable. the kitties would definitely not be withheld in the stalls.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:35 PM  
Coming two

take it slow and easy

Horseplay's idea sounds good. We put hubby's 14 cats in a tack room that has a window. They were able to see everything going on outside and get used to the sounds and smells of their new home. We closed the barn doors when we fed them and let them wander around the new barn. Then penned them up again. After a few days we left the barn door open at feeding time and they gradually went out to investigate.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:21 PM  
Welcome Wagon

I've never had to relocate my barn cats, but I'm sure it's pretty much the same as when I introduce new cats into my barn cat "herd". I just lock them all into my barn for about 3 days. This gives the newbie time to explore inside the safety of the barn, check things out, get to know the other cats in my "herd", learn where the food and water are, and find a comfy place to bed down. After about 3 days I open up the barn again during the daytime so they can all come and go, but I continue to lock them in the barn at night for another 4 days or so. After that they can all come and go as they please, day or night. I've never had a newbie run away yet using this approach.

I can't speak for your cats, but I know mine would go absolutely bonkers if I tried to keep them in cages for the first few days. I think they would probably run away at the first opportunity.

Proud mom to:
Zena - 11 year old black & white APHA Tobiano Paint mare
Sis - 17 year old grade POA mare
In loving memory of Roxy (gray OTTB) - 00-08. RIP my sweet girl.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:30 PM  
Greenbroke Member

if I could lock them in the barn without them escaping, I would definitely be taking that route. unfortunately, that won't be possible, too easy for them to get out.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:54 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I was just googling ideas for building an outdoor "cattery". some of these people are really creative!!!

http://catioshowcase.com/
Old 07-23-2011, 05:59 PM  
Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzymonster View Post
I was just googling ideas for building an outdoor "cattery". some of these people are really creative!!!

http://catioshowcase.com/

Wow! They've got some great ideas!

Proud mom to:
Zena - 11 year old black & white APHA Tobiano Paint mare
Sis - 17 year old grade POA mare
In loving memory of Roxy (gray OTTB) - 00-08. RIP my sweet girl.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Cats