Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2008, 10:48 AM  
Seasoned

dog with hip dysplasia Update! Dog will have to be put to sleep.

What are the treatments for this problem?

Edited to add the following new info:

After speaking to a vet, it's apparent that the dog's problem (hip dysplasia with advance arthritis) are not treatable, therefore, the dog will most likely be put to sleep.

For anyone who owns large breed dogs or dogs in general, make sure you research yourself or have your vet tell you what some of the common problems are with whatever breed you own. Had the owners known years ago when they bought the dog that this particular breed was known for hip dysplasia, they could have perhaps done something to help stave off this disease and make the dogs life better for a long period of time.

Last edited by Mav2007 : 01-10-2009 at 07:09 AM.
Mav2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:59 AM  
Bombproof Member

I think it depends on how bad it is if they want to do surgery or not. Mine have mild dysplasia and are on daily glucosamine and condrontin (OTC) There are days they are pretty sore and they get a Bufferin (coated asa).

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:33 AM  
Yearling Member

If they are young and like stated above how badly they are inflicted, you could do surgey. I use CM Response for Dogs for my 10-yr German Shepard and days when he just HAS to go out riding with me, I'll give him Vetrxin Buffered Canine Aspirin. My guy has it pretty badly, I can't say enough good about the difference CM Response has made in his quailty of life. I think I've tried every joint formula to shark cartilege to anything I could, and this stuff I saw results within 1 week. Amazing results. Good luck with your K-9 friend!
AngelPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:07 PM  
Weanling Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dustygirl
My female dane has it...bad enough to affect her posture and some movements, but not bad enough to stop her from running with the males at anything that moves! Some days she's stiffer than others and looks like her hips are dislocated....really strange looking! Like BarnBum, i've been using OTC glucosamine and condrontin and I can definately tell a difference. I may look into the CM Response that Angel uses...anything that would improve her is worth a shot. Grace is 6, which is getting close to elder years for a dane and the vet doesn't think she's bad enough to warrent surgery, especially not at her age and voluntary activity level.

I would try some OTC products to see if there's any improvement before considering putting your pup through surgery (and the cost). It may do the trick if it's not too bad. Good luck!
Old 01-10-2009, 07:23 AM  
Seasoned

Updated
Old 01-10-2009, 07:24 AM  
Pasture Pet

I am sorry - what a shame..

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:13 AM  
Bombproof Member

I'm sorry to hear this, Mav.

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:35 AM  
Seasoned

Yeah, it's too bad. The dog is only 7. He hasn't had a bad life, but to end it like this just sucks. The owners are especially unhappy since their last dog (seven years ago) died mysteriously and quickly at the age of 9. Following his untimely death they were so upset they both went to a bar for a drink. They are elderly and if you knew them, you'd laugh because it is so unlike them to go to a bar. I'm sure they will stay away from pet ownership for a while. According to them, "it's always the animals that you like and take really good care of that end up dying, while the dummy down the street doesn't give a rat's behind about his dog and it lives to be 20."
Old 01-10-2009, 08:48 AM  
Started

About 25 years ago I had a shepard mix puppy dumped at my parents house. I was about to get married and move, so I decided to keep the puppy. The puupy had trouble walking and after taking it to a vet it was found to have Hip Dysplasia very bad. I was prepared to put him to sleep because he was in so much pain. The vet was willing to try a procedure to cut the nerves so the puppy did not feel the pain. It was worth a try he was a real sweetheart. I'm not sure the name of what he did, but it worked, the dog lived a long and happy life, he would climb 4 foot fences easily. I can give you the name of the vet if they want to call him and ask what it was he did.

I don't regret the things I've done. I regret the things I didn't do when I had the chance.
Pony express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:49 AM  
Bombproof Member

I am so sorry, but I am happy to hear they will not prolong the dogs pain.
Quality of life over quantity of life anyday.

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:56 AM  
Bombproof Member

I'm sorry for your friends' dog, Mav. Such a shame. But what a blessing to know that she was so well cared for and loved during her short time here on Earth. A hard but generous decision to ease her pain.

I can find it just fine on my own.....
divinemisselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:57 AM  
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony express View Post
About 25 years ago I had a shepard mix puppy dumped at my parents house. I was about to get married and move, so I decided to keep the puppy. The puupy had trouble walking and after taking it to a vet it was found to have Hip Dysplasia very bad. I was prepared to put him to sleep because he was in so much pain. The vet was willing to try a procedure to cut the nerves so the puppy did not feel the pain. It was worth a try he was a real sweetheart. I'm not sure the name of what he did, but it worked, the dog lived a long and happy life, he would climb 4 foot fences easily. I can give you the name of the vet if they want to call him and ask what it was he did.
Thank you for your offer. I will speak with them, but I got the feeling last night that they have accepted this and will not be searching any further for treatments.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:59 AM  
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnBum View Post
I am so sorry, but I am happy to hear they will not prolong the dogs pain.
Quality of life over quantity of life anyday.
Yes, I totally agree. I told them that since they know he's going to be put to sleep, they should make these last couple weeks really nice. Feed him whatever he wants. Play with him so he's not lonely. I think it the most selfless thing to do, even though it sucks, to put your animal to sleep if he is suffering.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:41 AM  
Kid Safe

Mav, please give my condolences as well. I had a Pit that was diagnosed with hip dysplasia when he was just over a year old and it was already quite advanced...we had no idea about the symptoms or anything. We could not afford the surgery to replace both hips and put him on a supplement. The vet had only given him that summer before the pain would be too severe, but we monitored his weight, his activities, and kept him on the supplement until he was 5. At that time, the pain was definitely causing behavioral problems and while he was still having more good days than bad, we put him to sleep.

It is extremely hard to lose a dog that young when you expect them to be around for so much longer!

So, please, tell them that they are not alone and that they are doing the right thing.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:44 AM  
Seasoned

Send a message via Yahoo to Horses&Soccer
It is hard, and it is selfless. I feel sorry for those that have to make this decision, anyone who keeps animals has been there at one time or another, or will be. {{{{hugs}}}} to the family, but they're doing the right thing for their beloved dog.

Some days I just want to be a missing person
Horses&Soccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:14 PM  
Started

My worst nightmare.

My almost 2 year old GSD has it. She can barely stretch her left leg/hip.

I am so sorry.

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Dogs