Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2007, 08:16 PM  
Newborn Member

Need info on pigs

I'm thinking about buying some pigs, but I've never had pigs before so if ya'll could give me any information on them that would be great.
Thanks
Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:25 PM  
Weanling Member

I know they make babies like :bunny2: My friend has 4 sows that just gave birth to 25
Old 02-11-2007, 08:26 PM  
Yearling Member

The only pigs we've ever had were for meat. But we found out very quickly the boogers are hard to keep in. We had them in a small pen inside our horse field. They figured out several ways of getting out. Which was really ok b/c they stayed in the bigger field...until they started rutting up the field and leaving large dangerous holes for the horses to find. They also went in and out of the electric fence in our barn lot and continued to rut up the barn driveway and the gravel where the tracote is parked.
These were not pets so....others have better advice. I do know you have to have a good place to keep them.

Good Luck
dcandace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:33 AM  
Kid Safe

What kind of pig are we talking about? Pet pigs are not raised the same as farm pigs.

Major difference in size too!
Old 02-17-2007, 08:21 AM  
Newborn Member

Do pigs need to be fed every day since we dont live at our ranch(its 2 hours away)wejust go out there every saturday or sunday,and my dad try's to go out there once a week.
Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:25 AM  
Yearling Member

We used to feed the pigs everyday... but we didn't have normal pigs!
They each had there own horse stall, and would get "turned out" in little paddocks everyday, then back into their stalls at night.
The only think I have to say about them is depending on what kind of pig you get.... the get VERY big, also, they are very intelligent. We had one trick pig that I swear had more brains then our lab! ( Wouldn't have taken much though... poor dog ) Also, watch out for them getting mouthy! I got my arm caught by an angry mamma sow once... Ouch! I thought for sure I was gonna have to learn how to write w/my left hand!

Be Something You Love and Understand~ Lynard Skynard
NHIceGSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 08:25 AM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie
Do pigs need to be fed every day since we dont live at our ranch(its 2 hours away)wejust go out there every saturday or sunday,and my dad try's to go out there once a week.
Yeah, just about every animal must be fed everyday, especially if you want him/her to gain weight.

We have a pot belly pig and she goes insane if I'm just a few minutes late feeding her, she's also pretty talented at spilling her water that gets has to be topped up twice a day.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:51 AM  
Kid Safe

pigs

As with any animal that can't survive on pasture, pigs do need to be fed every day. Water is a big concern as well. As they are built low to the ground, they need to have a shorter waterer and those don't stay filled on their own. Our farm pig used to dump all the waters all summer long to make a myriad of mud pits for her use. And, farm pigs get very, very big!

My potbelly also requires daily attention.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:18 AM  
Started

Not only do they need to be cared for everyday, but they'll require socializing as well or they'll become wild. And there's nothing scarier than a pack of pigs that won't let you near them.

If they're for meat, then they need the daily feedings, twice daily. Otherwise they won't grow well.

If they're pets, they'll need the care plus the socializing.

Pigs are incredibly smart, and messy. If they get bored, you bet they'll find a way to get loose. With your schedual, that would give them 3 days to run loose and be gone for good. If you have a good strong fence they'll just go under it.

They can chew wood, and root under it. They can remove fence posts from the ground with enough spare time and boredom.

Water would be a big concern as well, as others have mentioned. It must be kept clean and refilled constantly. It's common to refill it in the morning, and by evening the water trough will be across the pen, turned over and empty. If you put it into the ground, they'll root bedding into it and then sleep in it when it's hot out. Quite the mess.

In a small enclosure, with several pigs, the pen will need to be cleaned out and rebedded daily. Pigs don't like to lay in their own filth, they're actually quite clean themselves.

I would actually consider a pig to be a high maintance and demanding responcibility.

Then there's the feet trimmings, and sometimes they'll need their teeth filed down as well. Even the tamest of pigs can be quite the handful for that.

Even meat pigs will need daily care, though they won't need to be heavily socialized and they won't be around long enough for feet trimmings, but they're still a lot of work.

A meat pig will reach some 300 pounds+ (the Giant White variety) and pot bellied pigs can reach 100 pounds or so. I had a potbelly-white cross that got a little over 200 pounds. Tame as could be, but a handful. I gave her to a pig farmer that had lost his dog, she became the mascot and took over the dog run.

The young ones run faster than you would think, so if they get loose you're not catching them unless they come for food.

"The more people I meet the more I love my German Shepherd"
mandelyn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:19 AM  
A J
Greenbroke Member

I agree with what mandelyn said - we had neighbors who raised meat pigs, and they had to do chores every day, twice a day - in addition to keeping up on fencing, breeding, birthing, etc.

Other friends only raised a couple pigs for the county fair each year - they literally would spend as much, if not MORE time working with their pigs and caring for them than I did for my steers!

Pigs are a lot of work, high maintence, and require a lot of time and attention. If someone is only out at your ranch 1-2X a week, then pigs are definitly NOT the animal for you to get!

Also, even meat pigs can get NASTY if they aren't around people much. Anyone who's been attacked, or seen what's left of someone who's been attacked by their pigs will tell you that they need at least some socialization - trust me, I've heard of more than one farmer who all they found was the remains of his bones in the pig pen.

Try not, do or do not. There is no try.
A J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:52 AM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Do pigs need to be fed every day since we dont live at our ranch
I suppose it depends on the pig. Most of them are pretty adamant about trying to live, which of course means they want food and water occasionally.

Do you often go six days without eating or drinking?

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal