Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2007, 07:08 AM  
Halter broke

coughing goat

I've had my male goat for abot 9 months now and he has always coughed. Mostly when he eats or runs around. Well we got a new female goat about 2 months ago (because his girlfriend died)and she's starting to cough. I worm them monthly with safeguard for goats. I give them goat minerals everyday. What could this be? I don't see any discharge from the nose and they seem to be fine.
rms0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:48 AM  
Kid Safe

Could be lungworms. Though, I would think the Safeguard would take care of that. You might try a rotation with Ivermectin. Also, it could be dust. Are you sure it's not them coughing up their cuds?

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:50 AM  
Halter broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Range View Post
Could be lungworms. Though, I would think the Safeguard would take care of that. You might try a rotation with Ivermectin. Also, it could be dust. Are you sure it's not them coughing up their cuds?
Don't mean to sound stupid the goats are sort of new to me but are cuds the same thing as their feed? It could be dust we live in Florida and there is alot of sand?
Old 12-29-2007, 08:55 AM  
Kid Safe

Could be the dust. If you've checked temperatures and they aren't running fever and there's no discharge, it's probably not sickness since it's gone on so long.

Lungworms cause coughing.

Now, when a goat eats, it swallows the forage right away after chewing. Then, when it feels it's an opportune time, it coughs the forage back up for more chewing - the cud. Usually not during feeding time, but maybe afterwards.

I've had goats choke before while eating grain too fast and there's coughing involved in that.

I've also had out of shape goats cough after running, just like we do!

Try a rotation of Ivermectin and then go from there. That's my suggestion.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

Old 12-29-2007, 09:49 AM  
Halter broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Range View Post
Could be the dust. If you've checked temperatures and they aren't running fever and there's no discharge, it's probably not sickness since it's gone on so long.

Lungworms cause coughing.

Now, when a goat eats, it swallows the forage right away after chewing. Then, when it feels it's an opportune time, it coughs the forage back up for more chewing - the cud. Usually not during feeding time, but maybe afterwards.

I've had goats choke before while eating grain too fast and there's coughing involved in that.

I've also had out of shape goats cough after running, just like we do!

Try a rotation of Ivermectin and then go from there. That's my suggestion.
Thanks I will use the ivermectin. do they sell goat ivermectin or can I give a small dose of horse ivermectin?
Old 12-29-2007, 11:04 AM  
Kid Safe

I don't know if there's goat ivermectin or not. I used to use a little bit of horse ivermectin on my finger. But, not being sure the dose was correct and getting bitten a couple of times got me researching.

You can use the Ivomec injectable for cattle. Don't inject it...give it by mouth. The safe dosage is 1cc per 50lbs. I really like it because it also takes care of body beasties like lice and mites and it's pretty easy to dose with. Be prepared for spitting!

Oral, don't forget, oral. If you feed them separately, you could put it on their food.

You could look at www.fiascofarm.com, too. There might be another version of ivermection suggested there.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:04 AM  
Halter broke

Thanks so much for your advice. How does the ivermectin take care of body lice?
Old 01-01-2008, 09:40 AM  
Kid Safe

It's a magic mystery. Really, I don't know, since it's given orally. But, it DOES! I didn't realize that I actually had lice on my goats last year until I was cleaning the cashmere I'd combed out. I'd been spraying them with a spray to take care of fleas, flies, lice, etc. so I didn't think there was a problem. Seems there was! After switching to this wormer, no lice OR fleas.

Horsetopia Forum > Farm and Other Animal Talk > Farm Animal