Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Frugal Living and Money Saving Ideas
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2009, 12:46 PM  
Newborn Member

Ways to Stop A Horse From Chewing Wood

I've got a mare that I can't put her in the pole barn without her chewing the whole thing nearly down! I was wondering if you guys could put your home remedies for curing that awful and dreadful habit my horse has. Thanks.
kristin.wilkerson2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:24 PM  
Weanling Member

We had two horses that chewed got thier teeth done and no more chewing. Check there first..
Morgan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:12 AM  
Bombproof Member

Is it a habit or is she lacking anything in her diet ??

I hear QUITT works. Its just nutrients for horses, something that horses lack in their diet................................

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:26 AM  
Seasoned

Mine started doing this after being cooped up in their paddocks for about 5 weeks (rained for 5 wks straight this fall). I gave them even more hay to keep them busy throughout the hours and now that I turned them out, they are all back to normal, not chewing. So, if yours are doing it from boredom, try giving more hay and turn out as much as possible. Otherwise, may be she is deficient in something.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:09 AM  
Yearling Member

Hi I am assumeing that the timbers/posts are soft wood ( cedar or pine) Your corner post should be hard wood / maple horses love fresh wood mix in a 5 gallon pail some waste oil ( about 1/2 pail) ( oil left over from a oil change) diesle fuel ( do NOT use regular gas) you can also add some ashes and mix let sit over night You can also add stuff you don't think your horse will like ( but you could be wrong also some like hot sauce pepper ect.). Thin out with water do not add anything else combustable to the mix. paint the posts you will have to repaint for a couple days as it will soak into the soft wood faster than hardwood. Or you could tar the post but thats harder than the oil mix and more expensive too. Keep the mix handy and re treat as needed you can keep adding oil diesle as you use it. This will make the posts black and not the pretty new look.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:48 AM  
Halter broke

Just a thought, but if you take a bar of irish spring soap, and rub it over all corners of the alls etc, it really helps discourage. it worked on a cribber we had that boarded with us-
LoveMyHorse18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:08 AM  
Started

Sometimes the cure is as simple as more hay in the diet. I had a donkey that did this and so we ended up getting some lower quality hay (clean, just not as rich as the other hay, & very stemmy) and gave him extra. It really didn't add weight - which he didn't need, but it kept him busier and away from our wood.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:27 PM  
Weanling Member

Our horses start chewing the rails pretty quickly after the come into the corrals for the winter. Its definatley boredom. We are going to try the diesel/oil mix and hope it works!!! tired of replacing rails every spring!
cansncattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:59 PM  
Newborn Member

paint all your wood with oil thats what we do
horseridergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:36 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to mingiz
We have used Absorbine on stall doors for chewers and it seeme to work...
mingiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:13 PM  
Newborn Member

I don't think that my mare chews out of lacking something in the diet. I think that it's purely habit. So, I will definately try the oil/diesel mixture and see what happens. I have to find something that works quickly, cause she's gonna have to be put up during the winter when it gets cold, so...
kristin.wilkerson2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:02 PM  
Coming two

I have painted my stalls with used motor oil alone and it worked. I didn't need to add diesel to it. The burnt oil smells bad enough!

Very interesting about the Irish spring soap! If I ever build "pretty" stalls I will have to try that!

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Luvridn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:52 PM  
Bombproof Member

If you have poplar trees, offer a few at least 5' or 6' long. Mine go after them like beaver even tho they are outside with a round bale. They don't go after those that are growing, just one that's been cut.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:18 PM  
Weanling Member

I put vaseline along the edge my one chews and it stopped him
Old 05-29-2010, 08:21 PM  
Conformation Clinic Coordinator

Sooner or later all horses develop a taste for creosote.

Usually horses that chew wood are either bored, lack certain nutrients from their diet or need their teeth floated.

Oh, and some horses will do it just to get your attention.
gilmorehorsemanship is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Frugal Living and Money Saving Ideas