Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2009, 03:47 PM  
Halter broke

Question hay belly??

Ok so my horse has a hay belly how do I get rid of it? Keep in mine that I ride outside in all types of weather. Im putting her on ration plus also and she gets wormed to.
Tiffany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:30 PM  
Bombproof Member

Uncontrolled access to hay often results in big tummies. But not all of us can feed 3 x daily either.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:49 PM  
Pasture Pet

I thought our pony, Cricket had a hay belly, or wormy belly, or something else going on, even had her pregnancy checked, and the vet suggested adding more protein to her diet, and it has sleeked her right down, she looks great now!
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:08 PM  
Kid Safe

When the horses here got hay bellies we put them on a grain. It didn't fatten them just gave them the nutrients that were missing and in a matter of a couple of weeks the bellies were nice and proportioned to the rest of their bodies.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but becase of the people who do nothing about it.~Albert Einstein
paso_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:40 PM  
Halter broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by paso_lover View Post
When the horses here got hay bellies we put them on a grain. It didn't fatten them just gave them the nutrients that were missing and in a matter of a couple of weeks the bellies were nice and proportioned to the rest of their bodies.
she cant haddle grain.

is it true that they can get crussings from a hay belly??
Old 01-11-2009, 07:35 PM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
she cant haddle grain.

is it true that they can get crussings from a hay belly??

"crussings"?? or cushings??

What do you mean she can't handle grains?? Too hot on sweet feeds or all feeds meaning pelletted foods, high fat high fiber chunks and mixing your own grains WITHOUT the sugars??

Please clarify

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but becase of the people who do nothing about it.~Albert Einstein
paso_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:49 PM  
Coming two

How old is this horse? weanling yearlings I find can get potty or haybellied looking quicker than a mature horse.Regular deworming & good balanced quality feed,regular excercise{not necessarily riding but alot of turnout } usually eliminates that.
How often are you deworming & what products.What is his/her current diet.
paintedpastures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:49 PM  
Coming two

I've observed some of the animals that we've had in the past trim out when some of the hay is replaced with beet pulp.My fat boy shapes up great on a oat/beet pulp combo with hay.I can't give him sweet feed or grain mixes with a lot of molasses because he gets really naughty and moody,but plain clean oats don't seem to affect him.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:39 AM  
Coming two

I really do not believe in "hay bellies" 9 times out of 10 a big bloated belly is because the horse is lacking in protein. Especially young horses. Problem is people think they are fat so they cut their food back and the belly gets worse. My advice when you see a big belly is feed more and you will see the belly go away.

Also all "grains" are not equal. Try a balanced complete feed like Equine Jr or Equine Sr
Old 01-12-2009, 08:01 AM  
Halter broke

Crushings I mean.

The horse is 10.

She gets too hot when she is on grain.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice