Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2010, 08:25 PM  
Halter broke

After feeding,how long should I wait to ride?

I've heard from 30 minutes to an hour and and half. How long do you wait?
australian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:53 PM  
Ike
Yearling Member

I normally wait about as long as it takes to get the bridle on and my rear end in the saddle since he was saddled while he ate.

In just two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday. Plan to make the most of it.
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:07 PM  
Weanling Member

I will normally saddle them as soon as they are done eating. If we are some where and they are tied to the saddle, depending on the time frame, I will saddle them as they eat. I usually start them out a lil bit slower if they just finished, because then they have a full belly and I am not a quick mover if I just ate either.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:22 PM  
Started

A lot of this depends on what you are doing. If you are going on a slow, gentle, trail ride, feeding them while they are saddled is probably all right.

But if you are going to work that horse hard, as in running barrel patterns, fast gaiting, practicing reining or cow work, you are asking for colic by feeding and then doing anything strenuous.

Back when I was hanging out with serious TWH show people, I knew of two world class Walkers that died as a result of colic from being worked too hard immediately after being fed.

It is so tempting for those of us who ride after we get home from work to feed that horse, slap on a saddle, and take off.

I rest and let my meal digest half an hour before I go to the gym. Otherwise, I get indigestion. Remember, when a horse gets indigestion, it cannot throw up. No reverse peristalsis. If I get over heated on a full stomach, I can heave it up. Horses can't.

On the other hand, if I have a big dinner at a fine restaurant, and take a leisurely stroll back to the hotel, or around the marina, it actually seems to help my digestion.

Wonder what your vet would say?
theoldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:03 PM  
Weanling Member

As a rule of thumb, before riding I always wait at least an hour but would rather have longer, and after riding and cooldown I wait at least an hour but always make sure that they are 150% cooled down before they eat. I would rather be safe than sorry. When I tie and saddle them I clean stalls/get odds and ends done, and same with after riding. Their health and well being is worth that extra time.
nw_rdnck09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:36 PM  
Yearling Member

I suppose a lot of it depends on the situation...I try to give them as much time as I can (I'd rather ride right before a meal than during or right after), and am careful to give them a good warmup before doing anything strenuous, as well as a proper cooldown. These are precautions I unfortunately don't see very often, if at all. More of the riders I work around aren't even aware of when I feed their horses, and come to ride when it's convenient for them.

I wonder though how much their diet factors in to this equation. I'd imagine a horse on constant pasture isn't as at risk of developing problems as it is eating constantly - whereas a horse that gets 2 large meals a day would be quite at risk of colicking if ridden right after a meal. Same with horses that get a large amount of grain versus without, etc...just some thoughts
Old 06-10-2010, 06:09 AM  
Pasture Pet

For me, it really depends. If it is a horse who gets a token handful of grain, we just go ahead and ride. If it is a horse like Opie, my boy, who gets 2 scoops, i would wait an hour. Normally I would feed him about a half a scoop and go ahead and ride, then give him the rest later when he was good and cool. It also depends on the plan for the ride. If I was just going to flat for 20 mins or so, I would not be as concerned, but if I planned to ride for an hour, and include jumping and more strenuous activities, I would be more careful.
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:41 AM  
Yearling Member

I always wait at least an hour before I ride.. better safe than sorry.

One who believes that he has conquered the art of riding, has not yet begun to master the art of dressage.
TBxQH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:25 AM  
Long Yearling

I am with Ike on this. But I trail ride and slow trail ride at that. Zeke is on pasture at night (summer months) and he gets minimal amount of grain. If he was stalled more and received more grain, I would probably wait until after I rode to feed or wait a while after he ate to ride.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice