Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2011, 12:45 PM  
Newborn Member

How much more could a 3 year old grow?

I have a Appaloosa gelding who just turned 3 years old, his sire and dam were both 15 hands, but he's only 13.3 hands now. He really hasn't grown much in the past year, and still isn't growing. He's healthy and wormed regularly.
Any ideas on if he will actually make the 14.2 mark or stay under?
Canadian Cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:57 PM  
Pasture Pet

Any idea how old his parents were when they stopped growing?

I think you could expect another 3 inches in growth. A boader's horse grew from 15.3 to 16.2 from when he was 32 months old to when he was 44 months old. We expect another inch or so of growth still.

Of course I have had others that pretty much stopped at 3, only putting on another inch by the time they were 5.

Karen
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:15 PM  
Long Yearling

I'm having the same problem to be honest. When I bought Tinman as a 2 year old he was about 13.3 hands and right now at about 3 1/2 years old he's 14.2 hands. He's still quite butthigh, his butt is about 14.3 hands so I know he's not done growing and both of his parents are 15 hands. His father was a late bloomer and I think it's how he will be also. I'm giving him a feed for growing horses to be sure he's getting all he needs to reach his height potential. It's still frustrating. I'm hoping he makes it to 15 hands. I'd say keep your boy on good balanced nutrition and he will probably get in the 14.2 or 14.3 hand range at least. He could surprise you and get taller than that, might be a late bloomer.

Last edited by Korven Kuningas : 01-07-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Korven Kuningas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:18 PM  
Long Yearling

I purchased my gelding when he was a 2 year old. He didn't do much growing until the 4th year.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:26 PM  
Long Yearling

My appy mare is only about 14.1 maybe 14.2 if she is due or a trim! Her dam was a good 15 easily and the sire was 15.2 or so. The sire is half tb as well and the dam was like 1/4 tb so you'd think she would have had some height but she never got any bigger. She is definitly way smaller then both parents. And I raised her! I owned her mother so I know for sure. Some horses just don't live up to their parents!
cindyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:38 PM  
Kid Safe

My horse grew from 15.1 to nearly 16.1 between his 3-5 year old years. He was 15.1 as a LATE 3 year old (november), and grew to be nearly 16.1

RIP Justin
You stole my heart and for that, I am grateful.
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:14 PM  
Started

Send a message via AIM to Linebacker55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirita_88 View Post
My horse grew from 15.1 to nearly 16.1 between his 3-5 year old years. He was 15.1 as a LATE 3 year old (november), and grew to be nearly 16.1
I have heard about this many times. I think it depends on the genetics of the horse. We have some that hit 16 hands after turning 3 and that was a 2 or 3 inch gain in height. But it all depends on the genes at work.
AQHA/ABRA/IBHA
Linebacker55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:14 PM  
Started

Some breeds, and some blood lines within breeds, seem to mature later.

And gelding often launches a growth spurt in colts.

I sold a buckskin App to a friend for a variety of reasons, one being that he was only 14.3 in November after his third birthday. My friend had him gelded immediately. When I saw the colt the next summer (June or July) he stood a full hand taller.
theoldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:46 PM  
Yearling Member

all of the babies out of my mare were late maturers.

Every single one of them shot up an additional inch between their 5th & 6th year...

They can grow until they're 7 years old.

Genetics and nutrition play equal roles IMO.

If your looking for something dead broke, don\'t look at my horses but look at me!

http://www.geocities.com/shyfilly78/wwpq.html
shyfilly78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:15 AM  
Long Yearling

my friends horse didnt stop growing until he was almost 6. could not believe, seemed every time we turned around his butt and withers were out of sorts again. he is reg. aqha with TB linage. now at 7 he is a monster. over 16 hh and built like a brick.
every horse is diff. he may get bigger or he may just fill out and stay this height.
jjsimsez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:05 PM  
Weanling Member

This is really making me wonder exactly how big my boy is going to get! He's already about 16 hands, and doesn't turn 4 until March
Krista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:19 PM  
Weanling Member

Me too Our 2.5 year old Morgan. Is already 14.3. And I know they can grow till they are 6-8 before they are mature. I am worried. We thought she was going to be for my daughter but I think she is more for me and she can have mom who is 15 hands.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:01 PM  
Seasoned

The majority of horses I've had didn't stop growing until they were five.
The slow down at 3 but slowly grow more in the next two years.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:22 PM  
Coming two

Just like teenagers one day they have a growth spurt. It seems they grow a foot overnight. Is your gelding still butt high? Have his knees closed yet?
Old 01-08-2011, 02:55 PM  
Weanling Member

Double post

Last edited by Krista : 01-08-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:57 PM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunamovin View Post
Just like teenagers one day they have a growth spurt. It seems they grow a foot overnight. Is your gelding still butt high? Have his knees closed yet?
I'm not sure if this was directed at me or not, but he's actually levelled out quite nicely I haven't checked his knees lately, but I'll have a look in the morning I don't know if I would want him to grow much taller, just waiting for him to start growing out. I think he's going to be a chunk when he's finished growing
Old 01-08-2011, 03:22 PM  
Newborn Member

You can find out how tall he will be if you measure him from the point of the fetlock to the point of the elbow with a measure tape . Then flip it over keeping it at the point of elbow and see how far above the wither it goes and that should be the the growth point at which he will stop. I hope this helps.
dreamhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:54 AM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquineAlberta View Post
Any idea how old his parents were when they stopped growing?

I think you could expect another 3 inches in growth. A boader's horse grew from 15.3 to 16.2 from when he was 32 months old to when he was 44 months old. We expect another inch or so of growth still.

Of course I have had others that pretty much stopped at 3, only putting on another inch by the time they were 5.

Karen
I was wondering this myself about Cora... you know her parents much more than I do... since I got her from you she has shot up a good 2 inches in the bum. The breeder said she "expected her to mare to 17 hands" Do you think that is possible with her being 16.2 and coming 4 in 4 months?

On topic here, my gelding was 15.1ish when I got him as a 3 year old, he didnt grow much until he came into work as a 4 year old and had a working horse diet... he was roughly 15.3 with shoes on as a 5 year old and was sticked at 16.1 by my coach this spring as a 6 year old. In his case growth really had a lot to do with his diet.

I also bought a coming 5 year old TB that was about 16.1-2 and very thin, when I sold him as a 7 year old I guessed him about 16.3, the prospective owners sticked him at 17 hands ... again I am going to contribute this to his supplements and dietary changes
Old 01-25-2012, 12:31 PM  
Coming two

my tb was 16.1 at 4 last year. just measured him and he's a bit over 16.3 at 5 barely grew between 2-3 in height. I've also had several off the track that grew later in life like 2 inches between age 7-9.
lbequ4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:57 PM  
Seasoned

I've had horses grow quite significantly until they are 5-6 yrs old!

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice