Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2011, 07:28 PM  
Halter broke

Worried about horse getting "cast" in her stall...

Every night that I leave Sunni in her stall I silently freak out about the "possibility" of her getting cast. The stall is 12 x 12, but Sunni is a big girl. Around 16 hh. I don't normally have any of my horses stalled, ever. But at my old BO's my paint mare got herself cast twice. I KNOW Sunni's been laying down, the "proof" is all over her beautiful coat! But today when I got there it was obvious she had been rolling, and it just puts my belly in knots!

The vet wants her confined. His words "I just want her to stand and eat." But I swear I'll be a nervous wreck before its all said and done.

Anything I can do to lesson the risk? Am I just being "crazy worry woman?" I don't think I can handle too much more stress!
Sunni'sSidekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:17 PM  
Coming two

The only advice I can give is to make sure there is nothing in her stall that she could get her feet hung on if she does roll. You might have to stoop down to see how things look. I always worry about those things too but maybe there was something at the old barn that she kept getting hung on and you didn't notice it. Good luck.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:17 PM  
Conformation Clinic Coordinator

Also, bank your shavings around the sides and corners of the stall.
gilmorehorsemanship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:12 AM  
Kid Safe

They do make a anti-cast surcingle... don't know how good it is or if it really works..

It is basically a surcingle with a metal bar attached at the top that prevents the horse from rolling completely over in the stall. Supposed to keep them from rolling and trapping their legs against the wall.

We actually used to use the things in winter to keep added blanket layers from sliding and twisting out of position.

I agree with other posters. Keep objects to a minimum in her stall she doesn't need and keep her stall bedded with shavings banked along the walls and in corners. It will take extra shavings to accomplish this, but they don't soil the banking normally.

A 12' x 12' box is plenty big enough for Sunni. She has room to lie down (she feels safe to do this)and is enjoying the soft bed of shavings.

Some horses are prone to casting themselves, some roll everyday, a few times a day and never cast.

Relax mom... Sunni will be fine. She seems to have adapted to living inside better than you.
horselover4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:30 AM  
GV4
Yearling Member

Nailing a single 2x4 around the stall about 3 feet up gives them something to push against if they do become cast. There is something manufactured ans sold that serves the same purpose, but seems quite expensive compared to lumber.
ETA: Here is the link to the anti cast strips. Northcoastpets.com/anti_cast.htm

Last edited by GV4 : 06-26-2011 at 04:39 AM.
GV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:51 AM  
Bombproof Member

Getting cast is such a fickle thing. Maybe fickle isn't the right word, but seriously, these critters can go years without ever getting cast in an itty bitty stall, and then go and manage to roll themselves into the side of a barn in a huge pasture.

I worried a lot about it when I first got my horse. He's a full clydesdale, 16.3HH, about 1800lbs, and was stalled in a 10x10. Had him five and a half years now, and the only incident we ever had was when I had him at a trainer's and he was in a 12x24!!!

For that incident, she said he "looked cast," and was sure he wouldn't be able to get up, so she got five guys to help her get him out of his predicament. But then she tells me that he was completely calm thru the whole thing, and looking at them like "what's the big deal."

So to me, that incident wasn't really getting cast. I wasn't there, but I'd be willing to bet they made a mountain out of a molehill and he would have gotten himself up just fine.

I have also been present for four incidents at boarding barns where I've heard some horrendous struggling going on, go to investigate, and the moment I arrive to the stall, the horse is able to get itself out of the predicament on its own. In only one of those cases, did the horse hurt herself, and it was not too bad (chippd a chunk out of one hoof, took a couple of months to grow back.)

But because of those experiences, it makes me feel like it's not strictly the act of being cast that's dangerous, but how the horse reacts to it.

My guy is out 24/7 now so I really don't have to worry about it anymore. But even if he were in, I eventually learned to stop worrying about it at all.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice