Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2005, 09:17 AM  
Newborn Member

Outdoor arena size and fencing

Hi. What is the cheapest fencing that I can use to build an outdoor arena for my daughters to practice? What would be a good size, and what do you put down between the sand and the excavation site? We have two ponies.
gladhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 02:26 PM  
Kid Safe

Send a message via AIM to ThorArb
Well the arena size really depends on what you are planning to do with it. IE dressage, cow work, jumping... etc etc. But for a good western arena I would go with 150' x 200' or for english riding: 100' x 200'. Give or take depending on your horses and your property size.

As far as cheapest goes, well that I dont think I would be able to help with. But alot of the arenas I ride in or have seen have been board fencing. Or just pvc through blocks with letters at certain points (dressage arena).

Brittany
Old 06-19-2005, 08:48 PM  
Kid Safe

Proper dressage and HJ arenas are usually twice as long as they are wide, while most western arenas are one and a half times as long as they are wide. english arenas also tend to be larger, probably because english riding emphasises speed and large movement, while Western riding is all aobut tight maneuvers and precision control. With this in mind, however, English arenas CAN be the smallest! (from the rulebooks)

here are some sample sizes:

western, starting with the smallest 'official' size:

65' x100'

80' x 120' (most common, esp. for public arenas)

100' x 150' (most pro shows are held in this size) (could this be because you can fit exactly 2 of em on a football feild ?)

150' x 225'

200' x 300' (almost a pasture!)

and some sample English sizes:

50' x 100'

75'x 150'

100' x 200'

150' x 300'

200' x 400'

250' x 500' (amazingly enough, there is a stable not far frim me that has an INDOOR arena this size....with attached stables, too, so indoor show horsies never have to go out in the cold - board at that place starts at $675 a month for bare bones)

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice