Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2006, 12:09 PM  
Weanling Member

How many horses per acre?

It differs from region to region, but in your opinion, how many acres per horse? In my area, the general rule is 2 acres per horse but I know in some areas it is less than that or more than that. On the other hand, in my immediate area, we can have up to 4 horses on 5 acres as long as we are not breeding and selling.
Eagle Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:13 PM  
Yearling Member

uhhh... Around me there is usually 1-1.5 per horse. I'm thinking of buying 40 acres for 5 horses. That of course is PLENTY. But i will be having a small herd of sheep and proabably around 4 dogs. Aussies, and collies.

I would say no less then 1.5
Old 02-07-2006, 12:17 PM  
Started

We are on the border of two townships, one you must have 10 acres to have a horse and then you can have 10 on it. And the other is 2 per horse, that is pasture land, not including what your house is on. I think 2 is probably about right. To have to have 10 acres to have even one horse is STUPID, but they are trying to make this into a rich little community and the city folks don't like the smell of animals EWWWWWWWWWWW. I say move back to the city! But it costs $300 to even take it to the board and if they say no, then you lose your money. As long as your horse has enough room to excersize and you can take care of the waste without it being a problem it should not matter.

I don't regret the things I've done. I regret the things I didn't do when I had the chance.
Pony express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:18 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
In my rural area there are no legal limits on how many acres/horses. The only thing stated is must provide adequate food, water and shelter. Just south of me the rule outside of city limits is 5 acres for the first horse and one acre per horse thereafter. I don't think large livestock is allowed inside any city limits around me unless grandfathered in.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:49 PM  
Weanling Member

Tennessee considers horses as livestock, so there are no regulations in place. Rule of thumb though, if they are grazing, you need at least 1 acre per horse. People around here accept smaller paddacks as long as the horses have good hay, clean water and shelter of some sort.
Gottahavehorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 12:53 PM  
Yearling Member

I'm not sure that we have laws in iowa or my area that say how much you can have. But somewhere between 1-2 acres would sound right to me. (per horse)
Old 02-07-2006, 01:41 PM  
Yearling Member

Legal for the county I live in is 3 horses per acre, now personally, for the area, to support a horse, 1 horse per acre...

If your looking for something dead broke, don\'t look at my horses but look at me!

http://www.geocities.com/shyfilly78/wwpq.html
shyfilly78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:31 PM  
Yearling Member

In our area horses are considered livestock so there are not any regulations, only food and water - not even shelter! I know that because when some idiot called animal control on us we had just moved in and our barn was not up yet. It was summer time but the officer said that horses are considered livestock and do not have to have shelter! I do not think that is right! We have 4 horses on 5 acres, actually probably less because that acreage includes our yard too. And actually right now our property is not fully fenced so we only have about 1 1/2 acres fenced in but they get pleny of hay, feed, and water and lots of exercise. Our neighbors have 7 acres and have 5 horses and a donkey!

When that whistle blows
And that crowd explodes
And them pickup men are at your side
They tell you good ride cowboy, good ride
Cowgirl Up 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 02:53 PM  
Bombproof Member

It depends on what purpose you want your acreage to serve - if you want your pasture to be your horses' sole source of nutrition in the summer months, around here you need at least 2 acres per horse of unfertilized pasture, less if you fertilize, but one acre per horse is what I would consider the minimum.

However, with plenty of hay and exercise, horses can be kept on smaller plots as long as you don't mind them being in a dirt lot.

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 04:04 PM  
Halter broke

I have always been told that its 1 acre per horse but everyone has there own opinion on that.
Old 02-07-2006, 06:37 PM  
Long Yearling

We must be different aroud here, there are horses everywhere and only had a little bit more than an acre and we had 2 horses on it, but now we have the pasture beside ours connected and that makes about 2 acres and we have a pony now so, 3 for 3 acres. Now we have some people around here with alot more horses per acre than that. I dont really agree with it all that much, but as long as they get fed and have hay I dont mind it. Grass goes bye bye pretty fast though.

Lifes to short to pretend like you know what smart people are talking about.
DixieHorseChick18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice