Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2007, 09:23 PM  
Halter broke

Talking Horse Costume ideas and pictures!

Hi everyone. It seems a little early for this, BUT, we are talking about doing a costume class in a local show, and I was trying to come up with a cute and interesting costume for my horse and me! I've seen a lot of the ones such as bride(rider) and groom(horse), fairy and unicorn/pegasus, angel and devil, etc... but I'd like something different. I saw a little red riding hood(rider) and wolf (horse) which I thought was super cute, but I'd love to hear some new ideas. Also, I thought it'd be fun to see pictures of people and their horses dressed up.

As far as I go, I'm female and an adult, and not a delicate flower, so I'm not going to wear a unitard. Any ideas for me and my faithful steed?

Thanks!
paige11777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:35 PM  
Started

Dangit, I was hoping for pictures of you in a unitard

I would love to get a Medieval Times costume for Smokey, what about something like that?
ambrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:45 AM  
Yearling Member

While at the APHA world show I saw some cute ones. One girl painted her horse to look like a zebra and did a free style reining routine to the theme song for the movie where the zebra races against the thoroughbreds. I think it was called Stripes. Another guy actually found a large enough pair of
over-alls to fit her horses legs and hind end and did a routine to
Cletus T. Judd's song If Shania Was Mine. One guy had a full drape on his horse that looked like a John Deere Tractor and of course his routine was to Kenny Chesney's She Thinks My Tractors Sexy.
The possibilities are endless. Just think of your favorite movie or song. Oh and don't forget pictures.
bunnyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:27 AM  
Coming two

How about a knight and dragon or the fox in hunt uniform(rider) and hound (horse).October is coming in a hurry and we are going to do the Unicorn thing with Tatertot this year,but my daughter wants to be a evil wizard and have a chain around his neck instead of a bridle. Ya know Good vs evil.
dimpleflirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:27 AM  
Weanling Member

What does your horse look like??
raidergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:29 AM  
Seasoned

I once saw a girl who tied cereal boxes all over a fly sheet with sporks sticking out of them... She called her horse a "Cereal killer"... I thought it was a cute concept, but could have been thought through more....

You can only blame your problems on the world for so long
Before it all becomes the same old song.
KatieMae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:39 AM  
Coming two

That's a cute idea!

This is a fuzzy pic of him and Katie,she already has the funky hair for it.the photo really doesn't show off his mane and forelock.

His hair looks better when brushed out but he has the mini feathers too. I guess we'll braid flowers and leaves in to his hair and make a horn out of a florist cone and gesso then paint and glitter.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:50 AM  
Greenbroke Member

This year for costume class at fair my daughter was the statue of Liberty and her horse/pony was Uncle Sam
year before my daughter was a bee and her horse was a flower....

I saw lots of good ideas--one i liked with a brown horse was it had paint on it like a football and the girl was a cheerleader Lots of Cruella Devils with appy horses. Always lots of hawiian.............and indians with their horses painted
Old 09-06-2007, 08:45 AM  
Kid Safe

Those were cute ideas Dodib,I would like to dress as a knight(not using the actual armor) and horse being decked out as my faithful charger,or medieval dress. Maybe you know someone who is into re-enactments and could borrow uniform and gear.

If not at home try the barn.
beckyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:29 AM  
Weanling Member

When I was in 4-H years ago, I wanted to do the costume class. This was the time when the Energizer Bunny was a big hit.

My mom made a big pink blanket to fit my mare. She made these big (1 1/2 feet long) pink ears that hung down, and put a big cotton tail on her butt. She put me inside a big box sitting on top, and made colored it to look like a battery. She took a semi truck tire tube and covered it with a white sheet and made it look like a drum. When the horse walked she hit the drum with her knees and it sounded like she was banging on it.
I have pics that I will scan tonight and post. It was a hit. Since I was in the battery, mom had to lead me into the ring. I had an eye hole cut out, but still could not see a thing. We won the class!!! I looked at the pics just the other day, and started laughing.
I hope one day when my hubby and I have kids, I will be as creative as my mom was. Thanks mom!!!
10 yr old German Shepherd "Rocky", and
7 yr old Ragdoll "Princeton"
dustyangel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:06 PM  
Halter broke

Here's my horse... his coloring makes it difficult to do some of the neat ones like a zebra, etc... I love the pics... especially the bee and flower. I've looked at some of the knights, dragons, etc... I'm sure I'll have to start early and make sure he's desensitized though, since I'll probably end up doing something complicated. I saw one pic where the rider was Elvis and the horse was a Cadillac... it was hilarious!

Thanks!

paige11777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:11 PM  
Started

Batgirl and batcycle?
ambrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:28 PM  
Long Yearling

Ohh this is a fun thread!!! I love it!!! Maybe you could dress up as a monkey and your horse could be a banana or the other way around Mickey and minni or Pluto, Bunny and a carrot, Headless gost,(or the onne with the pumpkin head), Dog and Biskit (or toy) (i like that one), Dog and newspaper?, thats all i got right now!!!
Old 09-06-2007, 03:41 PM  
Yearling Member

This is the first year that I have the priviledge to spend Halloween night dressed up alongside my horse. Lucky and I are going to be cows together. We'll be our own little herd.

~With the wind in my hair, I fly o'er the ground.
On the back of my horse, my soul has been found.~

Lori-olio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:53 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I dressed Maxx up as the Chick-Fil-A cow. I had horns attached to his bridle, he had udders, and a banner hanging over him thaty said Eat Mor Chicken. It was so cute.

http://www.freewebs.com/rpmaxx/
mymaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:09 AM  
Kid Safe

How about getting some of the fake sheep skin, and going as Bo Peep and one of her lost sheep?
Old 09-07-2007, 06:16 AM  
Coming two

Ya know fat as my Haflinger is I was thinking of making a lion mane for him and brading his tail then dressing my little girl in white tights leotard and mouse ears and have her cary a big thorn.Ya know the mouse that pulled the thorn from the lions foot.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:33 PM  
Long Yearling

Ok, I admit, I am new at this, but I have a warning for you all. If you dress your horse up like this, don't get mad when they dump you on the ground!! Thank of all the other horses laughing at them, the humilation of it all!! Shame on all of you!! tee hee...I like the zebra idea, but don't tell Sonny, he'll run when he sees the can of black paint coming!
Old 09-07-2007, 04:02 PM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyal View Post
While at the APHA world show I saw some cute ones. One girl painted her horse to look like a zebra and did a free style reining routine to the theme song for the movie where the zebra races against the thoroughbreds. I think it was called Stripes. Another guy actually found a large enough pair of
over-alls to fit her horses legs and hind end and did a routine to
Cletus T. Judd's song If Shania Was Mine. One guy had a full drape on his horse that looked like a John Deere Tractor and of course his routine was to Kenny Chesney's She Thinks My Tractors Sexy.
The possibilities are endless. Just think of your favorite movie or song. Oh and don't forget pictures.
Just wanted to say that I was there to. Those horses looked so good.
DoBeSassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:32 PM  
Started

This year Bones is going as Dorothy, complete with ruby slippers (bell boots with red sparkle fabric glued on), a gingham "dress," Toto in a basket, and a wig (which you can see in this pic). I'm going to be the Wicked Witch.

Past costumes:

Mardi Gras

Lobster and "SeaHorse"

Penguin and Snow

Medieval Lady and Unicorn

Mexican Merchant and Pack Burro

Baby and "My Little Pony"

Mardi Gras again (RIP, Major )
almost_mozart is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice