Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2008, 12:57 PM  
Weanling Member

Can horses eat orange peels?

I have a big fruitbowl in the kitchen and have given the horses some of the apples and pears from it...but was wondering, can horses eat the peel from the orange?

Just curious....
Old 06-03-2008, 01:02 PM  
Kid Safe

The whole orange is fine..........Most love it and of course it is rich in vitamin c.

I live in Florida where eating oranges is normal for horses to do because they are everywhere. Mine prefer oranges to apples, even better, a banana!

"Animals are such agreeable friends--they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms..." --George Eliot

In Loving Memory of Spikey...My Best Friend...I Miss You RIP 1988-2009
kanoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:02 PM  
Weanling Member

I know a man who feeds his horses oranges..peel and all. My mare wont eat an orange but she LOVES apples, carrots, pears, and bananas!
FastHorses000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:03 PM  
Long Yearling

I would have never thought to feed my horse an orange..... learn something new everyday
Old 06-03-2008, 02:24 PM  
Started

Anyone feed turnips?

Perhaps we with EDS are like race horses - one of the old traditions was to 'handicap' the greatest horses so that they would not run away from the pack. They would pile on lead weights, whatever was needed to get up to the amount of weight the handicapper said they should carry. We're handicapped because otherwise the world could not keep up with us
Iwasbornonahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:01 PM  
Seasoned

some horses will eat them some wont.
I had a little arab mare about 8 years ago that would eat stuff like
hotdogs
oranges
turnip
corn husks
pears
bananas
triscut crackers
jub jub candies
candy canes
licorice
grapefruit
muffins
oatmeal, chocolate chip, and peanut butter cookies
trail mix
dried fruits.
breburtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:38 PM  
Halter broke

yes

7 yrs ago I bought my Hessen from his importer in florida. as I met him, we were all drinking orange juice from the stand down the road. Cloudy asked politely for some of mine, and I said no, and the BO said that they let the horses eat oranges when they ride them thru the groves down there.
so since we live in georgia and have lots of orange trees here, Cloudy gets whole oranges and tangerines and tangelos and all....he's not as happy with key limes, but we only have 2 of those trees.
so you can feed whole oranges in the peel. Cloudy presses his into his feed tub and juices them, then eats it all.
cloudyandcallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:36 AM  
Coming two

The icelandic horse breed is one of the oldest breeds and winters in iceland are harsh! I was told the icelandic horses were fed dried fish in the old days. My horse didn't want a bite of my tunafish sandwich! I guess if you're a horse starving in icelands winter..even fish tastes good
Sunlei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:44 PM  
Newborn Member

I used to have a horse that ate any kind of fruit, he even liked non veggie stuff, not that I fed him those things, my x did feed him a hamburger with the bun and all....horse was part pig I think!

Cathy
Xiphias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:07 PM  
Newborn Member

My Mustang Gelding LOVES oranges but HATES the peel! He also LOVES pretzels! But hates peppermint/candy canes. And he loves strawberrys and cantoloupe. Hes kind of weird LOL
Hope this helped a little
LoveMyMustang21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:30 AM  
Coming two

Hm I never tried oranges, and living in Florida they are abundant! My horse eats just about anything in front of him. When I moved him to my friend's property he ate everything out of her garden. That includes corn, strawberries, tomatoes, Around Halloween he ate the top off of her daughter's pumpkin. He ripped her fiance's pineapple out of the ground then proceeded to not like it right in front of him. He was upset about that. Leo is now no longer allowed near the garden. Nilla wafers, vanilla cookies, pop tarts. He use to eat a little of everything I had before a lesson. I will def try bringing him out some oranges and bananas.
"Listen to the mustn't, child, listen to the don'ts, listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts, listen to the never haves, then listen close to me - anything can happen, child. Anything can be."- Shel Silverstein
jclark343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:17 PM  
Conformation Clinic Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyMustang21 View Post
My Mustang Gelding LOVES oranges but HATES the peel! He also LOVES pretzels! But hates peppermint/candy canes. And he loves strawberrys and cantoloupe. Hes kind of weird LOL
Hope this helped a little
My mustang mare will eat anything she sees me eat first - Including hamburgers and hot dogs. I kid you not.

By the same token, she won't take food from a stranger unless I am standing right there. Very odd.
gilmorehorsemanship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:03 PM  
Yearling Member

My horse likes mini wheats
And he likes crab apples, but won't eat them unless I take a bite first lol
Majandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:35 PM  
Coming two

I was excited that Kanoo posted.. and then I realised this was an old thread... dun dun dun.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:41 PM  
Weanling Member

My horse Boomerang will sell your soul for a handfull of orange peels. He's down right drool-bucket wearing stupid for them.

My horse Bo will run you flat for a Jolly Rancher, but wont touch orange peels or carrots.

My horse CrackerJack will do anything for a carrot that most people would do for a Klondike bar ... but wont touch apples, or oranges.

My Horse Zippy eats anything and everything, loves Jolly Ranchers, Soda, Beer, Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches, and anything else you are eating or drinking becuase he's SURE that if you think it's good, it's good for the Zippyloosa too. Just ask him. He'll tell you.

Proud horse mother of:
Zippys Delight, Peppys Chrome Sensation, and Go-Boomerang-Go!
ZippysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:10 AM  
Weanling Member

Well, suppose I could get in trouble for contributing to the fall of a minor...
Our 3 yo filly discovered DSs long neck bottle of beer, all cool and stinky (I hate beer) couldn't get to her fast enough - she reached over, picked up the bottle and drank it down! Now, where in the world did she learn to do that??? I've only had her a few months and only feed her horse food! Honest!
Dear youngest son, 23, was not happy. He only had one and she stole it. We don't keep beer or liquor at home so now I 'owe' him a beer.

My mares enjoy most fruit and veggies, oatmeal cookies (w/o sugar). They tried a squash they stole from the garden but turned their noses up as soon as they'd opened it. Silly girls.
Karen K More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:22 AM  
Newborn Member

watermellon

Last summer when we had a heat wave, I fed my guy ice cold watermellons, cut them in quarters and serve. Some of the horses will eat it & some won't.
oldslowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:46 PM  
Pasture Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_girl10 View Post
I was excited that Kanoo posted.. and then I realised this was an old thread... dun dun dun.
she is on my fb page pm me if you want it
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:54 PM  
Weanling Member

My old roping horse learned to drink beer out of the bottle and put it back down.

Proud horse mother of:
Zippys Delight, Peppys Chrome Sensation, and Go-Boomerang-Go!
ZippysMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice