Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2008, 02:44 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to Crookedblaze
How can I stop mane rubbing?

Mane rubbing is my pet peeve.

It drives me absolutely bonkers.

And Stormy has rubbed out a huge chunk in the middle of her mane. She has this thing that she likes to do, hang her head inbetween the bars. I thought that it was boredom, so I have started getting her out 2 or 3 times a day and working with her for 30 minutes to an hour...I change things up every day, we work on something that she needs to learn every day - from groundmanners to flexing at the poll under saddle. But she still has her head inbetween those frickin bars every time I sneak around to check on her. I don't need her until she moves her head and she doesn't get handfed treats, they go in her bucket in the stall. The pannel is a 4 rail and she has to squeeze to get her neck to fit, so the mane went really fast.

I was thinking about putting up netting, but I havn't had any luck finding good horse proof and safe netting or fencing at Home Depot, Lowes and local hardware stores. My other idea was getting 5 rail pannels, which she couldn't get her face through, but then I'd have to replace her whole stall.

Four things greater than all things are...Women and Horses and Power and War -Rudyard Kipling

Last edited by Crookedblaze : 09-24-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Crookedblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:47 PM  
Pasture Pet

Roach the mane and then no issues..

The netting might help as long as she can't get stuck in it.. Bubble wrap them and they will still find a way to have scratches, missing manes, fluffy tails..

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:50 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Oh Gbar, Mac is serial for getting scrapes, cuts, random bleeding...thank god he's out.

I could roach her mane, she has a nice neck. But, she's a f-r-e-a-k about clippers. Worse then Rocket. It's bad. I emotionally damage Rocket by clipping him when the vet sedates him to clean his sheath, then he can't fight as much.

Four things greater than all things are...Women and Horses and Power and War -Rudyard Kipling
Old 09-24-2008, 02:55 PM  
Weanling Member

i had the same problem this is what i did

i drilled holes in between the top and second rail and between the 2nd and
3rd rail than ran a strand of SMOOTH barbless wire through the holes then tightened it really tight to make a extra rail between the existing rails. the spacing is big enough to not allow a foot to get stuck but small enough to not allow the horse to get their head through.

you may have to tighten it every month or so to keep it tight.

then i also roached her mane so that it would all grow back the same length (boy was hubby mad it was his horse)

The Victory Isn\'t Always To The Strong, Nor The Race To The Swift..... However, That Isn\'t A Bad Way To Be. D. Wane Lucas
northstar_paints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 02:56 PM  
Coming two

I am assuming the pannel is a round pipe pannel. Would snow fencing put on with plastic zip ties (nub end to the outside) work? I know both of those are avaliable at Lowes. Or possibly a mane tamer sleezy?
missa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:43 PM  
Weanling Member

if she's anything like my boy she will just find something else to rub on, I could find no reason for him to be rubbing so like you I did preventive work and he just found something else to rub on....my vet said it could be caused my some mites but he was not showing any signs of anything like that..but I was willing to try anything so I put a little mtg on it right at the roots and he stopped..go figure..I don't understand it myself but it has worked so far and mtg really makes the hair grow fast so he is looking much better..you might try it..I even used a big magnifying glass looking for some sign of irritation ,,there was nothing..
trinabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:14 PM  
Halter broke

Possum did the same thing. Right in the middle of his long mane there is no hair. He rubbed it completely off. We have since started to apply MTG a couple of weeks ago & the hair is growing back nice. No more rubbing. Glad to know it's not just my horse doing that.

Phil
PossumsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:38 PM  
Started

maybe a neck cover? I really don't know.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:45 PM  
Long Yearling

Send a message via AIM to PeggySue
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...310&lpage=none

or

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...850&lpage=none

I have the 2X4 horse fence inbetween all my stalls they can see each other and touch noses but that is it

cant' get head thru to rub either
PeggySue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:21 AM  
Weanling Member

Mane rubbing is my biggest pet peeve also It drives me crazy! I think Schneider Saddlery (catalog and online too) sells a lightweight hood (like a slinky) that you could use. Or just replace the panel with one that has closer slats. I find that my filly just sticks her head thru where her feeder is to get the hay that falls to the other sde. I'm not sure if they sell Delmar fence in your area. It is like hog fence but is a heavier gage. It is used to put up around pipe stalls out here so horses can't put their heads thru, etc. Maybe a fence co. in your area would have something similiar? Good luck!
minis4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:52 AM  
Coming two

Just something to keep in mind. Horses will sometimes rub like crazy when they need their gentials cleaned. Mares get dirt up in between the udders which will make them rub their butts and manes. And stallions geldings need their sheaths cleaned.

I have also seen it caused by really dry skin along the mane line and I put mtg on it several times a week
Old 09-29-2008, 12:15 PM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Just something to keep in mind. Horses will sometimes rub like crazy when they need their gentials cleaned. Mares get dirt up in between the udders which will make them rub their butts and manes. And stallions geldings need their sheaths cleaned.

I have also seen it caused by really dry skin along the mane line and I put mtg on it several times a week
good one...hadn't thought of that..we have ours cleaned periodically...but I realize some people don't ...wouldn't hurt to have it done..
trinabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:40 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Stormy got everything cleaned 4 weeks ago. o.O But I will keep that in mind. My horsies are all on health matinence plans, my vet comes out when they need sheaths cleaned, teeth floated, shots, etc...I love not having to keep a schedual with the vet.

I just got MTG and put the first dose on her yesterday...boy does that stuff smell! It took 15 minutes to get her to stand still enough to put that on her mane.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:58 PM  
Newborn Member

Mane rubbing

My horse rubs his mane every year. The reason is that he has an allergic reaction to the saliva of gnats. MTG works awesome, not only to re-grow the lost hair, but to relieve the irritation and repel from furthur bites.
cristaldragan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:28 PM  
Newborn Member

mane rubbing....new experience

so glad to see I don't have a weird horse. He just started this. How do I clean his sheath? He relaxes while I brush him...can I do it, then? And, where do I get this MTG? Thanks, horse friends.
rls2457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:33 PM  
Bombproof Member

Why is she putting her head thro the rails?
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:53 PM  
Conformation Clinic Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post

That, and insect bits on or near a mare's teats, a gelding's or stallion's sheath and especially ticks and other little blood-suckers that get in the main and tail.

Also, check for built up skin-cruddies (that's my technical term for skin that normally sheds off but gets stuck in the hair ). Also, make sure that there isn't something like pin worms which can occur despite worming (some wormers are very critter specific in what they control).
gilmorehorsemanship is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice