Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2009, 09:28 AM  
Newborn Member

Horse "losing" hair around chest & face

I have three horses – one of which I have been struggling with rain rot over the past few years (mainly on her rump – to the point she has been scalded)---the other two horses have no skin problems whatsoever…
Here is my main problem now outside of the rain rot….every year for the past year or two this same horse seems to “lose” the hair around her chest and face …I have tried all sorts of things shampoos and the sort – currently using one of the “baths” that you hook up to the water hose…working decently on the rain rot…
But what is going on with this seemingly “hair loss” flies are bad now as they are everywhere yet I keep them sprayed down – but even if the flies were getting a little too rough – should this be happening?
I have never seen this happen and I have been around lots of horses (guess not enough) – is she missing a specific supplement? I do keep out a free choice mineral block (they are pasture horses –yet are also fed (this is a roping horse which is ridden about twice a week…) Vet doesn’t have a good answer as of yet…just recommended the shampoos – well – what caused it?
I tried to attach some pics....
thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0126a.jpg (81.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0125-1.JPG (83.0 KB, 31 views)
nothaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:50 PM  
Coming two

Does the horse rub? Both of those areas are areas my horses really like to rub...
candy4legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:54 PM  
Started

What type of horse is she?

My OTTB has the exact same thing happen every summer. Starts in June and goes away mid September for the past 4 years. I have had 2 vets check him and both said possibly allergies but most likely heat rash. Mine gets it on his neck as well. My vets said that lots of TB's have such thin skin that it is proned to things like this.

My guy gets hosed eveyday and always has access to shade. I all use the Eqyss Micro-Tek spray and shampoo on him and it has made a world of difference in his skin.

http://www.eqyss.com/equine_products.asp

Last edited by horseloverinVA : 06-26-2009 at 02:59 PM.
horseloverinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:57 PM  
Newborn Member

In general...no...
this is more of a "seasonal" problem as it has occurred in the past (late spring early summer) and the hair will "come back" mid to late summer (closer to late summer...
Old 06-26-2009, 03:04 PM  
Kid Safe

Sounds like an allergic reaction to me. A friend of mine had a Morgan with skin issues like that. She wound up giving allergy shots, and that cleared it up, as long as she stayed on the shots. It was not an issue in the winter. The shots were pricey though. Then she tried to breed the mare, but she would not conceive. I was kind of glad, thinking it might be a hereditary issue.
singing tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:19 PM  
Newborn Member

She is a little dry doc quarter horse... and will sweat a little more than the others (then again it has been 98-99 every day this week - located in Arkansas).. I just started using the EQsolutions bath (quality of product?) - only about twice a week (no more shampooing - figured the bath would be a cure-all)...just your typical quarter horse (pretty nice- yet aren't they all or we wouldn't own them - hence the reason for the "little" extra effort)...does have shade---and back to an earlier question...i never really do notice her "rubbing"thanks
Old 06-26-2009, 08:33 PM  
Yearling Member

One of the horses I work with had an issue like this a few years ago...he's always been prone to skin issues, and one summer he started losing all the hair around his face. Turned out to be some kind of fungus, and proper treatment cleared it up. I've also seen stress (both mental and physical) cause hair loss around the neck and chest, and a horse with a completely bald forehead - has been like that for years and has no explanation, as the owners don't seem concerned enough to look into it

A mineral deficiency certainly sounds like a possibility as well. Good luck!
WestCoastRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:17 PM  
Weanling Member

I have alot of horses in Fl on the farm that have skin issues. TB will loose his facial hair and sometimes hair on his neck. Try rinsing with Listerine in the rinse water and clean his face after you ride. You don'tr need to rinse off the Listerine.
morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:51 AM  
Seasoned

Looks alot like Jack the QH Ive owned (recently found him a hew home) He gets that on his neck in the same place and on the front of his face/nose and it will peel. Its not itchy and he doesnt rub. In Jack, Its sunburn, not summer itch, a fungus or an allergic problem. I asked my vet. If he wears the flysheet and flymask and or sunscreen he doesnt have it. Any color horse can get sunburn.

PaintsQH is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition