Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2009, 06:02 AM  
Halter broke

Lime on the pasture

My pastures had lime spread on them Friday. It was supposed to rain all day yesterday and did not. When is it "safe" to let the horses graze on it again? Right now they are in a dry lot with hay, but I like to let them run and graze on the weekend.
seloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:17 AM  
Yearling Member

Hi we have never put lime on the pastures just on the crop fields and I think ones that were plowed and just had to be disked Lime is supposed to be "in" the ground to help growth So I would ask a expert at you ag extension or where you get you seed fertilizers ect
Old 12-13-2009, 08:30 AM  
Bombproof Member

Lime needs to be in tilled soil in order to be beneficial. I agree about contacting your ag agent or googling the info. You don't want the horses either inhaling or ingesting the lime. In the meantime I wouldn't let them on that pasture until you have the correct info.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:26 AM  
Seasoned

Farmers lime their hay fields and pastures all the time without tilling. Although lime does not readily "dissolve" like fertilizer, it does not have to be incorporated to be beneficial. If top dressing, it is best to put it on well in advance of when the growing season starts, as it can take a year or more for the lime to incorporate -- the amount of time depends on the soil type, the ph, the type of grass, and the rainfall.

Agricultural lime itself has no toxic properties, but horses should be removed until after a rain because of the dust. Hydrated lime is caustic and can burn so should not be used on pastures.

Last edited by fishing_trex : 12-13-2009 at 09:40 AM.
fishing_trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:27 AM  
Coming two

IMO they should not be put out until after a heavy rain, or it is tilled in or the grass has had time to absorb it. It can burn hooves, but the big problem is mouth blisters or eye burns. I've always tilled it in because in my area (mountains) it will just run off into the rivers. Where you live may be different.
dunamovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:55 AM  
Halter broke

Thank you all. It was put on by my hay guy who also assisted with getting my pastures started 3 years ago on sugar sand and they look great, so I trust him on that part. I did not let them out on it and it hopefully will rain this week as the news says. Thanks again, that was what my gut was telling me but my guys were trying to convince me otherwise standing at the gate to the grass ALL weekend , then pouting as they ate their round bales.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:16 AM  
Coming two

Mom's mean. She won't let us out to play. They sure can say a lot without saying anything
Old 12-15-2009, 05:54 AM  
Halter broke

Yes they do. They have been pawing the fence and gate My baby zebra and mini horse are about to run me over when I go in with them cuz they want to run and play too. Should this weekend be ok? It will have been over a week with HEAVY dew but still no rain
Old 12-15-2009, 09:30 AM  
Coming two

Sorry, IMO I'd wait for the rain. I'd worry too much about mouth ulcers. Is it a big pasture? Do you have any type of tractor apparatus that you could wet the pasture with?
Old 12-16-2009, 03:51 AM  
Halter broke

All I have is a small weed sprayer, I may try this weekend. It is about 2 acres. It is supposed to rain the next couple of days (not much tho) so I will see. Thank you, I will not chance it.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:48 AM  
Seasoned

What kind of lime was put on? Ag lime shouldn't be an issue... you can check with your vet to be sure, but ag lime, by itself, will not burn as it has a different ph than hydrated or other types of lime. So it really depends on what type of lime (and its ph) that you put on the pasture.

Last edited by fishing_trex : 12-16-2009 at 10:56 AM.
fishing_trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:44 AM  
Halter broke

Ah thank you, I will check with my hay guy today and call my vet. Hopefully it will rain like it is supposed to tomorrow so I will not worry either way.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:05 AM  
Yearling Member

I'd leave the horses in the pasture. We limed our pasture last summer and the vet said that we could just leave the horses in there. The horses were fine, no problems at all. We just spread the lime on top, didn't till the soil or anything. It didn't rain for at least a week afterwards.
Janet
Aspen3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition