Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2005, 01:48 PM  
Long Yearling

Over the Counter Anti-inflammatory for Horses?

Is there any over the counter medication that can be given as an inti-inflammatory to my 950 lb. quarter mare unti I can meet my vet on Monday?

I woke up to find a bleeding cut on her back right hock. And while I do not think it is anything significant, I want to try and keep any inflammation down if possible... if there is going to be any. We have a trail ride scheduled for Friday, and I don't want to miss it. Thanks!
horses-n-greyhoundz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 07:49 PM  
Greenbroke Member

A good reason to always have Bute on hand! But no, I don't think there's any otc anti-inflammatory you can give her. I would just hydro it in the meantime. (of course, by the time this is posted it's going to be late and the vet will be open in the morning. )
TXCowGrl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 08:38 PM  
Coming two

Hey H-n-G, I used to give my old pony a product called Asper-Paste. It's relatively in-expensive (around $11 a tube) and it's got about 15 doses per tube. Hope that helps
Old 07-31-2005, 08:47 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I believe that Asper-Paste is an aspirin based product. It will help with pain, but not inflammation.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:41 PM  
Pasture Pet

Aspirin in any form is a blood thinner and will aid in relieving the area of congested blood
Old 08-01-2005, 08:13 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Ok, I'm sitting here with TxMom and this is what she's telling me:

Aspirin is a blood thinner, yes, but it will not help with releiving the area of congested blood. It will help dissolve blood clots, but in a circumstance where there is something swollen, it can actually make the problem worse. At least that how it works in humans.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:30 AM  
Long Yearling

Is Bute an anti-inflammatory or a pain killer, or both?
Old 08-01-2005, 09:33 AM  
Pasture Pet

Horses do get relef from the aspirin if you run out of bute-and my Vet recomended this for that very problem
Bute is better and more long lasting but aspirin will work in a pinch-

NSAIDs: These are part of a family of compounds useful in reducing inflammation, pain and fever. They are the most commonly used group of drugs for joint or soft tissue lameness in horses. The most widely used NSAIDs in equine medicine are phenylbutazone (bute), Banamine and aspirin. NSAIDs are used in both acute synovitis and chronic degenerative joint disease (DJD).

Bute is both-pain reliever and anti inflammatory
Old 08-01-2005, 09:23 PM  
Long Yearling

From "The Pill Book"

Prescribed for

Mild to moderate pain; fever; inflammation of bones, joints, or other body tissues;
reducing the probability that men who have had a stroke or TIA (oxygen shortage to the brain) because of a problem with blood coagulation will have another such attack. Aspirin may also be prescribed as an anticoagulant (blood-thinning) drug in people with unstable angina, and to protect against heart attack, although it has not been approved by the government for this purpose.

General Information

Aspirin is probably the closest thing we have to a wonder drug. It has been used for more than a century as a pain and fever remedy but is now used for its effect on the blood as well.

Aspirin is the standard against which all other drugs are compared for pain relief and for reduction of inflammation.
Chemically, Aspirin is a member of the group called salicylates. Other salicylates include Sodium Salicylate, Sodium Thiosalicylate, Choline Salicylate, and Magnesium Salicylate (Trilisate). These drugs are no more effective than regular Aspirin, although 2 of them (Choiine Salicylate and Magnesium Salicylate) may be a little less irritating to the stomach. They are all more expensive than Aspirin.

Scientists have discovered how Aspirin works. It reduces fever by causing the blood vessels in the skin to open, thereby allowing heat from our body to leave more rapidly. Its effects on pain and inflammation are thought to be related to its ability to prevent the manufacture of complex body hormones called prostaglandins. Of all the salicylates, Aspirin has the greatest effect on prostaglandin production.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition