Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 01:24 PM  
Yearling Member

horse not eating

My 25 yr old horse it not showing any interest in eating her grain. I fed her last night around 8 pm and then went out to feed her the morning rashens and almost half was left from the previous night. I dumped out the old and put in the new grain and she smelled it took a small nibble and then left it alone. That was about 45 min. ago and she has yet to go back to it and eat. Now I know this has only been a day but she is a horse that absolutely LOVES her grain! She gets around 15 lbs. a day of grain (w/oil to keep the weight on during the winter) and roughly a little less than half a bale of hay a day. We haven't changed her food, her eating time, or given her more hay or grain than usually. She doesn't seem to be bothered by anything or showing any signs of illness (nervous, anxious, pacing, rolling, breathing hard, sweating etc) She doesn't have a lot of grass if any, so she can't be filling up on that. I just don't feel right about the situation. She makes me nervous! Could it be that her teeth are bothering her? I have no idea!! Any ideas would be great!
Old 01-09-2006, 01:34 PM  
Yearling Member

Have you seen her drink enough water lately? She sounds like she might have an impaction. Of course, there are other reasons why a horse wouldn't eat. Is it warm enough for her? I know my gelding was off his feed for a few days when he was just too cold (in 50 degree Florida weather ).
But especially since she is older and it is winter, I would make sure she is getting enough to drink. My friend's horse didn't show any signs of impaction besides not eating when he had one. Also, are there fresh manure piles from your mare? Try to figure out when the last time she went to the bathroom was, or try to keep an eye out for it.
If you DO think she might have an impaction, DEFINATELY call the vet and make him get out there ASAP. Letting it go for days seeing if it will clear up will make it worse and more life threatening. If you don't think she is getting enough fluids, you can add water, gatorade, or applejuice in with her grain and it makes a soupy-mush.
But if you really are feeling uncomfortable about the whole situation, the best thing to do it call your Vet. You wouldn't want there to be a serious problem that would go un-recognized!
Old 01-09-2006, 01:35 PM  
Halter broke

When is the last time she had her teeth floated? I know when my Neeko was losing weight he would take a bite of food and then turn his back to it and wouldn't touch it again. It was his teeth that were causing the problems.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:59 PM  
Seasoned

I would talk to a Vet.
The horse could be severely constipated.
The Vet may suggest an enema, Bute and Banamine.
Again, talk to a Vet.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:02 PM  
Yearling Member

I did look to see if there was some fresh droppings and she seems to be passing just fine. She did end up going back and taking a few more bites of her grain and then left again. In her grain I put 2 cups of oil and about 10-12 cups of warm water. So it is pretty soupy! And I saw her drink water last night around 5 pm. The weather is about 50 degrees here, which is extremely warm for us during this time of year. It was about 15 degrees 2 1/2 weeks ago and she was fine, it didn't seem to bother her. As for her teeth being done we just had them checked about 4-5 months ago. But being so old she may need them to be checked again to make sure she doesn't have any new probs. I just checked on her and she was nibbling the grass in the pasture an then went and is now eating some hay.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:23 PM  
Yearling Member

Well, I called the vet and she is out on a call and will get back to me asap. Missy seems to be doing ok. She has been eating her hay for about 30 min. Should I let her eat as long as she wants or should I take her away from it? I did just raise the oil in her grain from 1 1/2 cups to 2 cups yesterday, do you think that, that may have something to do with her not eating?
Old 01-09-2006, 02:39 PM  
Bombproof Member

Your best bet would be letting the Vet come and check her out.If she is passing just fine, and does not seem to eb stressed, I would let her eat ehr hay.
Bless her at 25. Keep us psoted.

Hey LiquidStarlight, I was woundering how you central and south Floridians was doing with all that cold. Try being up here were I am.
Freezing. Now we are in the 70's and I have shorts on!!!!!

Actually going on 6 years
Old 01-09-2006, 02:55 PM  
Yearling Member

70's ? shorts? Wow I hope you realize how lucky you are. I would do anything to see that weather it's cold here.

couggirl I feel for you. I know how scary it can be when they stop eating. I'm glad she is eating some now though thats good. I hope it all works out ok.
Old 01-09-2006, 06:20 PM  
Yearling Member

Well, the vet come out this afternoon and said that she doesn't think that anything is too terribly wrong. Little upset stomach. Gave her a bute shot, and said to keep her off grain for 24 hours. Then introduce it little by little, if she takes to it. If things don't improve in the next 24-48 hours then we need to take her in ASAP! So that is all I know now! Thanks for your help! I will keep you posted!
Old 01-09-2006, 07:18 PM  
Bombproof Member

My prayers are with you.
Keep us posted.

Quarters, If I could, I would send it your way.
It was really nice, until this evening, skeeters are allready
comming out. Shot time early.

Actually going on 6 years
Old 01-10-2006, 06:38 AM  
Yearling Member

70 degrees and shorts .... MUST BE NICE!!! I would even be ok with the skeeters just to be able to have that kind of weather!! Mid 30's here right now and we are saying "nice warm spell we are having!"

Cougirl - Good luck, hopefully it will turn out to be just an upset tummy - keep us posted.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:02 PM  
Yearling Member

Hooray!!!! Missy is eating her food again! I went out this morning and her food was gone!!! I am so relieved...I think that the hay we JUST bought was no good. We went through a couple of bales and found some mold in a couple of them! Not something I like to see. The hay looked good and fresh but must have gotten rained on at some point. But all is good and she is happily eating her food once again! Thanks for everyone's help, concern and prayers!
Old 01-10-2006, 02:31 PM  
Yearling Member

HOORAY MISSY!!! :blob3: :blob4: :blob5:
Old 01-10-2006, 03:34 PM  
Yearling Member

Oh GREAT!!! What great news. I'll bet that got rid of some stress.
Old 01-10-2006, 04:52 PM  
Yearling Member

Whew, I'm glad it was nothing serious! I would rather deal with some moldy hay than with a sick horse!
Old 01-10-2006, 05:23 PM  
Yearling Member

I was very thrilled! I am so happy that my old gal is hanging in there! Thanks for all of your support!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 05:20 AM  
Newborn Member

My horse won't eat grain either

My 13-ish year old gelding isn't eating his grain very well this morning. Food is the most imortant thing to him, so I worry. His water bucket was empty this morning and he had two fresh piles in his stall from over night. Is nibbling on hay. What are the signs that a horse is impacted?
Old 01-20-2011, 06:25 AM  
Long Yearling

I just went through this with my gelding about a month ago. First I had the equine dentist out. She didn't find anything really wrong with his mouth or teeth, just one small sore that wouldn't bother most horses. He had a worse one last year that didn't bother him. But she smoothed out everything. He still wouldn't eat so I called the vet. He had me take him off all hay and thought it was the coastal I was feeding. I had bought a special coastal hay that wasn't supposed to colic horses. My boy showed no signs of colic--just wouldn't eat. The vet thought it was an impaction. He had me buy alfalfa cubes and soak them in water. He still didn't eat, so the vet did a complete work up on him. Everything seemed normal, including his mouth. He had some strongyles so I wormed him. He started chewing a little, but keeping the food always in the front of his mouth. He looked like an old woman chewing very fast with the food in his front teeth. Just about when we were at the end of our ropes, he went back to eating. The vet still thinks he had an impaction. I wonder if it wasn't that little sore. Cost me a lot, but I'm glad he's OK now. I hope yours gets OK too. I sure did worry about mine.

"It's better to be hopeful than cynical, because you have to live in the same world either way, and if you're hopeful, you have more fun." Barbara Kingsolver

Last edited by Knightrider : 01-20-2011 at 06:27 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:33 AM  
Halter broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by myspotsrock View Post
My 13-ish year old gelding isn't eating his grain very well this morning. Food is the most imortant thing to him, so I worry. His water bucket was empty this morning and he had two fresh piles in his stall from over night. Is nibbling on hay. What are the signs that a horse is impacted?

Lack of eating, dull look in face/eyes(almost depressive), ears pinning back towards backend because of discomfort, looking/biting at sides, less than normal gut sounds, off by themselves, rolling.

I have a mare that gets dehydration impaction bout once a year when she "forgets" to drink enough. I would highly suggest taking all food away from him and watch him closely. Have you changed his food or grain lately? Only two piles in his stall? Is that normal for him? Has anything in his schedule changed at all? If he shows any of the above signs I would of course get a vet out asap. Better safe than sorry!

Closed Thread

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition