Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2006, 09:57 PM  
Halter broke

Purina vs Nutrena

I have a 3 month old filly who is on Omolene 300. I picked her up a week ago and she was on this when I got her. I left her on it so she doesn't have soooo many changes in one day I need help. What do you guys prefer to feed to your weanlings. She is in good weight and she acts healthy. She is a Friesian...so a bigger breed...I worry about OCD and things like that when they are growing so quickly. What have you found to be a great feed for weanlings? Any help would be great. I need an unbiased opinion because obviously if I go to the Purina dealer they are telling me their's is better and if I go to Nutrena they say that theirs is better! Too my sides...HELP!!! Thanks
dressage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:26 AM  
ron
Started

nutrena safe choice
free choice minerals (powdered)

A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:39 AM  
Kid Safe

Strawberry started out on Omolene 300.
We switched her to Super Horse 14 at about 4 months.
She stayed on that until about a year. Then we went to Platform Performance.

No preference, just happened to be a change of feed stores causing the brand changes. She looked great on all three.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:13 AM  
Kid Safe

brand

I think it comes down to availability, cost, and ingredients, really. No dealer around me carries Purina. My one feed dealer who used to carry Nutrena no longer does because the cost was not worth it. So, I use a Pilgrim product that I just switched all my horses too (from a local product). It is equivalent to SafeChoice, but is 2% lower in fat. Advantage Senior. Yes, my whole herd is on this because of the 16% fiber and the beet pulp base!

Some horses do better on certain products, but if the rest of your herd does well on one, there is no reason not to switch your new one over (slowly) and see what happens.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 06:51 AM  
Long Yearling

I use the Omelene products. I have a lot of draft-coss horses, so I also worried about OCD.

I asked my equine vet about it, and he pooh-poohed the idea that the Omelene sweetfeed might be bad for them. He had nothing but good things to say about the science and research that went into developing the Purina feed formulations.

The only thing he said was that I didn't need to keep the youngsters on the 300 for a full year like it recommends on the bag. He said to switch them over to 200 at about 6 months.

--Nancy
NChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:10 AM  
Long Yearling

Send a message via AIM to chappel16 Send a message via Yahoo to chappel16
I used to feed Safe Choice for all my horses, and it was great! Well...until I got my draft. He seemed to always act colicky on it by laying down a lot and refusing to eat. I switched him on sweet/pellet mix and he has been happy ever since. I think once he sells, I may look into getting my horses back on it though. They looked so good, and fat, and healthy...lol.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:16 AM  
Pasture Pet

We use the Omelene for our mares and foals because it is easier to get. I also mix a quality Senior Feed with it for our mares that are harder keepers - so far, they have stayed very sleek and in good weight!

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:20 AM  
Long Yearling

Send a message via AIM to chappel16 Send a message via Yahoo to chappel16
I thought Omelene was good feed, but I was told to pass on it as I have a TB jumper who has springs in his feet when he feels like it, and it would make him insane to ride. Have you noticed an energy difference with Omelene?
Old 09-22-2006, 07:22 AM  
Pasture Pet

Not with foals - they have so much energy anyways, how would you be able to tell the difference!

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:31 AM  
Weanling Member

I am going to go out here and say that I do not use either one. I actually use the Triple Crown Growth formula by Southern States. Gives my babies good muscle and they can keep up with their ever-growing bodies! lol!

~Isn't it amazing the things we will do and endure...All for the love of horses~
Sheri Tarrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 12:54 PM  
Pasture Pet

I think either is fine, and I agree that you should cut back on how much you feed as she ages. For my warmblood babies, the get NO grain/concentrates after they turn 1, and a very limites amount before then (I feed Martins Happy Trails). With my really tall baby, we stopped his grain once he was weaned and happy with hay (on my vets advice).

We do give the loose minerals, and we are confident in the nutrients in our hay, other wise we may give them a general suppliment.

With the taller breeds you want slow growth to reduce the chances of OCD...your baby should be kept moderately ribby until their major growing is done (2.5-3 years)...a fat tall baby is bad news.

Karen2
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:35 PM  
Long Yearling

I use safechoice myself. My hard keeper of a TB keeps weight on it too, and the nice thing is I can feed it to the old horses, my mini, and my young stock. So I don't have to have many different feed tubs for all different ages.
cindyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:06 PM  
Halter broke

My 2 geldings are on Safe Choice and my TB mare is on Strategy. I just want the best for her. The Nutrena lady says that the high starches in Omolene is the start of OCD. My filly is a good ribby...not overly fat She has been on Omolene 300 since she was weaned and she was creep feeding with mom on this. I really like the way she looks right now, but then again I do worry about the high starches. Nutrena also has probiotics whereas Purina does not. Thanks for all the input...but I'm still confused and undecided.

NChase - you said your vet said to switche them to 200 at 6 months...how long do they stay on 200?

I really am trying to find the answer...but I guess everyone has their opinion Thanks for the advice and any more would be great.
dressage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:17 PM  
Yearling Member

I feed my horses something that our feed store makes themselves. Its suposed to be compared to Omelene. So one mare gets the 300 and the others get the 200. And no problems so far.
skipsnightlady81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition