Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2007, 09:18 AM  
Yearling Member

My new barn uses diatomaceous earth on their horses--anybody else do this? Has anyone heard any pros-cons? My vet said no--didn't like all that sharp stuff in their intestines.
texas sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:17 AM  
Pasture Pet

Depends-are they using it for worming? Really ineffectual for that.
I use it on pee spots though-dries them right up
ToveroMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:19 AM  
Started

In theory its a great idea.Aparently its composed of tiny diotomes(made of silica) which can damage the delicate outer surfaces of internal parasites with out harming the host.
Danni L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:50 AM  
Greenbroke Member

we have Amish customers that use it.
calicocalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:01 PM  
Bombproof Member

I sprinkle a handful on manure. I was told the fly larva are cut by the sharp edges of the silica. I certainly wouldn't feed it to them. It's great for drying up the manure. And p spots as well.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:07 PM  
Coming two

Send a message via MSN to annag307 Send a message via Yahoo to annag307
I have used diatomaceous earth, but not directly on or in a horse. I have used it in the house, cupboards or anywhere that you want to dry up & kill insects. It works great to keep ants, etc. from getting in feed, or crawling around in your cupboards. From what I have learned about it, ti drys the host up and then kills it. Dont know if that helps. But what I can tell you that the vets I worked for told me that if ingested it wouldnt hurt the animal. But I am not standing firm on that. I would think if you are using it on the outside of the animal or in the environment, go for it. But I dont know that I would feed it to my horse. Actually I wouldnt feed it to my horse. But look forward to hearing everyone elses experience with diatomaceous earth.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:09 AM  
Greenbroke Member

I haven't used it myself, but I know people who have and swear by it. It is not suppose to be harmful to feed it to horses. Here are some articles...

http://www.todayshorse.com/Experts/C...Cheyanne10.htm
http://www.manesandtailsorganization...lternative.htm
http://www.horse-canada.com/articles...isdom05.02.htm
http://www.oe1.com/index3.htm

Brazil's National Horse is now in Canada! http://sunsetmarchadors.blogspot.com/
dandeeqh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:30 PM  
Yearling Member

Thanks everyone for your input!I appreciate it.
texas sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:55 AM  
Yearling Member

It is made of extremely sharp silica fragments...but sharp on the microscopic scale. I wear gloves when I use it around the yard, so I don't think I'd be comfortable using it around my horses because they seem to lick everything...but I am a bit of a safety nut. I let my dog and cats in the yard after I've used it and never had a problem...but they tend to stay away from it.

The way it works is that insects (we mostly use it for ants and beetles) walk all around in it and track it all the way home. Meanwhile, the grains acts like razor blades, inside and outside their bodies. When other pests contact it around the nest, they pick it up and it slowly kills off the whole nest.
Perrys_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:07 AM  
Weanling Member

I have been looking into it, I talked with my rep and he says 100% safe for animals to eat. I will get another link for you.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:43 AM  
Newborn Member

Iknow someone that uses it and now he is off blood pressure medicine, studies have been done also as far as lowering cholesteral. It's all natural so I dont see how it can be harmful other than inhaling large amounts. I take it now (2 teaspoons daily) my dogs and horses are on it also but I wet it before feeding. My boyfriend has just started taking it due to high choleteral and triglyderides. He goes back for blood work in three months. We will see!!!!!
Miss Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:30 AM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via AIM to Smilie
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeeqh View Post
I haven't used it myself, but I know people who have and swear by it. It is not suppose to be harmful to feed it to horses. Here are some articles...

http://www.todayshorse.com/Experts/C...Cheyanne10.htm
http://www.manesandtailsorganization...lternative.htm
http://www.horse-canada.com/articles...isdom05.02.htm
http://www.oe1.com/index3.htm
Some of these links don't work, and the ones that did , have no scientific data
I never go just by alternative medicine claims, as many are just anecdotal, with no solid clinical trials behind them
One can sight latrile and a host of others that fall into this cataglory, and one of my other favorite one is 'live blood analysis" As a lab tech that specialized in haematology, I know it is nothing but a bunch of crap, yet there are people that swear by it
While there are some alternative medicines that have merit, the danger occurs when people forgo mainstream medicine entirely in preference to some of these ;'natural medicines", and at best doing no harm, but often delaying correct treatment. I can list many, many examples of this,
So, if you can give me actual clinical trials where D.E, was effective inside the body against parasites, reduced blood pressure, etc I'm all ears
Due to it;s dissicating effects , it has proved useful for controling insects in the enviroment
Many people don't de worm their horses at all, yet their horses look sleek and shiny, so that to me is no proof of efficacy
I have found at least two veterinary articles, both which qoute no proof of efficacy in using D.E. as a de=wormer, so I can only assume that claims of efficacy from other sources are un substanciated, including by reps trying to sell the stuff
Miss Twist, can you give me a scientific link showing that D.E. lowers colesterol and blood pressure?
Just by it's mode of action, I'm really surprised why those that gravitate to 'natural medicine', aren;t concerned as to what this stuff might do tot he intestinal lining of their horses
I mean, there are two serious side effects to this stuff possible, and no proof of efficacy, so I gotta srcatch my head as to why people would actually use it

Last edited by Smilie : 11-14-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Smilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:24 AM  
Newborn Member

this study, a potential influence of food grade diatomaceous earth to lower blood cholesterol was investigated. During 12 weeks we monitored serum lipid concentrations in 19 healthy individuals with a history of moderate hypercholesterinemia. Individuals administered orally 250 mg. Diatomaceous earth three times daily during an 8 weeks observation period. Serum concentrations of cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and triglycerides levels were measured before study entry, every second week during the period of diatomaceous earth intake and 4 weeks after stop of intake.

Diatomaceous earth intake was associated with a significant reduction of serum cholesterol at any time point, reaching a minimum on week 6. Also low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and triglyceride levels decreased. Four weeks after intake of diatomaceous earth was stopped, serum cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and triglycerides still remained low and also the increase of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol became significant."
Institute of Medical Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of Innsbruck, Austria.
In this study a potential influence of diatomaceous earth to lower blood cholesterol was investigated. During 12 weeks we monitored serum lipid concentrations in 19 healthy individuals with a history of moderate hypercholesterolemia (9 females, 10 males, age 35-67 years). Individuals administered orally 250 mg diatomaceous earth three-times daily during an 8 weeks observation period. Serum concentrations of cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and triglycerides levels were measured before study entry, every second week during the period of diatomaceous earth intake and 4 weeks after stop of intake. Compared to baseline (285.8 +/- 37.5 mg/dl = 7.40 +/- 0.97 mM) diatomaceous earth was associated with a significant reduction of serum cholesterol at any time point, reaching a minimum on week 6 (248.1 mg/dl = 6.43 mM, -13.2% from baseline; p<0.001). Also low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (week 4: p<0.05) and triglycerides levels decreased (week 2: p<0.05, week 4: p<0.01). Four weeks after intake of diatomaceous earth was stopped, serum cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and triglycerides still remained low and also the increase of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol became significant (p<0.05). Diatomaceous earth, a byproduct, is capable of reducing blood cholesterol and positively influencing lipid metabolism in humans. Placebo-controlled studies will be necessary to confirm our findings.

I guess this could be a bunch of crap. I havent seen where it has been harmful either. I dont know myself if it works as a de-wormer or not. As far as damaging the lining of a horses intestines I havent seen any documetation that it does. Seems if a human can take and not harm the intestines why cant animals. I"m all for finding out as much as I can about it.
Miss Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:12 PM  
Pasture Pet

I am guessing I will never find a good study, as there is no financial reason to. Oh well, I don't see any real study showing harm in feeding it either though. Both sides seem to be more theoretical and anecdotal than scientific.

Horse in question has come back with a negative fecal, so owner has decided not to persue the "natural" dewormer further and will stick to our rotation, so the point (for me) is moot.
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:44 PM  
Newborn Member

d.e. for horses

There are two kinds of D.E. One is toxic and used in pool filtration. The other one should be labeled Food Grade. Because common dewormers are mostly used on a calendar basis and not on a testing basis they are becoming ineffective just like some antibiotics do with people. Some vets are now recommending that a horse is first tested to determine what exactly they have regarding parasites and then treating. You can try giving 1/2 to 1 cup of Food Grade D.E. mixed with water and sweet feed and wait a couple of weeks and test your horse to make sure it works. A lot of farmers use it on chickens.
gentlefarm07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:44 AM  
Newborn Member

One time won't do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlefarm07 View Post
There are two kinds of D.E. One is toxic and used in pool filtration. The other one should be labeled Food Grade. Because common dewormers are mostly used on a calendar basis and not on a testing basis they are becoming ineffective just like some antibiotics do with people. Some vets are now recommending that a horse is first tested to determine what exactly they have regarding parasites and then treating. You can try giving 1/2 to 1 cup of Food Grade D.E. mixed with water and sweet feed and wait a couple of weeks and test your horse to make sure it works. A lot of farmers use it on chickens.
It takes 30 days to really get results and 90 days is better. A one time dose will cut some up but the eggs waiting to hatch and larger helminths are pretty hardy. After 30 days buy that sand colic stuff made from psyllium husk and watch the worms come out! Nasty.
wanderingsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:53 PM  
Weanling Member

I've only ever read of it used in chicken pens for the chickens to 'dust bathe' in. I would never give to my horse(s) as it is said to dry things up - I do not want my horses dry on the inside - will not take the chance and it is supposed to be quite sharp - once again, I do not want my horses cut up on the inside - has not been properly tested so therefore would not 'test' it on my horse(s).

Where is it sold? I have not seen it at TSC or our local feed stores. Have thought to buy some for the chicken pens.
Karen K More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:19 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I've started my horses on "bug check" and it is one the ingredients....

http://www.kvsupply.com/KVVet/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=41326&gift=False&0=product%5F family%2Easp%2Cfamily%5Fid%3D859%26Tree%3D%2CBug%2 0Check&HSLB=False&mscssid=63F057513C454D7EB039D79F 3018CE4F
Old 05-17-2012, 06:14 PM  
Seasoned

Our neighbor is a certified organic farmer. DE is all he can use for dewormer, so all his animals get it. I bought a bag for my chickens, goats and horses. The dosage is pretty small. It can be found at Fleet Farm and my local feed store.
http://www.absorbentproductsltd.com/...livestock.html

Here is a link to the brand I use. Red Lake DE
If you browse their website you'll find a lot of information about it.

Here are some of the uses for DE
•Discourage calves from ingesting contaminated earth that results in infections and diseases
•Decrease mortality in livestock and avoid costly treatments resulting from infections and diseases,
protecting your return on investment
•Act as a natural insecticide for fleas, ticks and other unwanted insects
•Many people use Diatomaceous Earth as a natural and safe parasitic control and de-wormer for their animals
•Studies have shown an increase in egg production and egg-shell thickness in the poultry industry
•Studies have shown an increase in weight gain in hogs when used as a feed supplement for hogs
•A resourceful aid to reduce odor and fly population in and around barns and stalls
Red Lake Earth Diatomaceous Earth is a unique blend of diatomaceous earth, montmorillonite, and micro and macro minerals that is designed to increase the health and productivity of animals, used to reduce odor and fly population as well as other unwanted insects.

Last edited by Mav2007 : 05-17-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Mav2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:32 PM  
Weanling Member

Thanks, May!
Karen K More is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition