Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2008, 08:43 PM  
Coming two

Lump under jaw

My mare has a lump under her jaw like her lymph nodes are swollen. It's only on the right side and there's no heat. It just feels like a big thickening. She is showing no other symptoms of strangles and has been vaccinated but I'm a little worried. I'm also thinking she could have broken a molar or something but it's just a cold thickening I noticed this a.m. Any thoughts? I am having the vet out this week anyway so I might call and see if he can move it up a day.
lbequ4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:45 PM  
Pasture Pet

Any fever? Runny nose?
It could be many different things, strangles, and abcess, a tooth issue, a swollen lymph node from a different illness than strangles... If you hot pack it does it go down? Does it seem sore?
Since you are having the vet out, your mind will be put to ease soon, but I am not sure what it is.
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:58 PM  
Started

Vet out is your best bet. Could always be a tooth issue. However, I had a filly that had something like you describe - it wasn't strangles but some other infection that set in. The vet cut open the lump and took a sample for culture testing and then gave her antibiotics that was effective against that specific bacteria (what he had her on previously wasn't working). Once we did that it cleared up in a couple days.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:00 PM  
Coming two

I had a similar problem last summer. I spent over $500 trying to figure out what was wrong but the vet couldn't come up with anything. It finally went away and we never knew what was wrong.
Cappysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:01 PM  
Bombproof Member

Tooth abcess/infection ??
BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:53 AM  
Started

Send a message via Yahoo to GreyDot
Where under the jaw is it, EXACTLY? Closer to neck or closer to mouth? How big is it? How long has it been there, and how fast has it grown? Does it feel attached to the skin (moves with skin, can be 'picked up' with your fingers) or does it feel attached to the tissues underneath? If it is at the 'corner' of the jaw and neck, right in the throat latch, have your vet ultrasound the area, with special attention to the thyroid.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:59 AM  
Started

Send a message via MSN to Sassy
Has the vet been out yet? If so what was the out come? I agree when it comes to these things vet is best!!
Old 05-07-2008, 09:13 AM  
SoCo

My Mare has a lump too

My 22 year old Morgan Mare has a lump on the right side of her jaw/neck latch area. She will choke at times and I must wet her hay down before she eats.

She has been scoped, bloodworked, teeth checked and cancer tested. The vet can not come up with anything with the exception that her Selennium level is low. This is normal for PA horses because our soil lacks it and therefore the grass does not have it in it.

One of the working students at the barn is going to school to be a vet and she brought it up to one of her professors. Who said that she needs more salt in her diet. Now she has two salt licks in her stall and she still has a lump.

So I wish you the best of luck with your horse but this "maybe" something that doesn't disappear.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:11 AM  
Coming two

It's to the inside of the large part of her jaw. It feels like it's attached to the tissues underneath. I noticed it yesterday a.m. but have been out of town for a few days before that and had someone feeding for me. It wasn't there a few days ago and it hasn't gotten any bigger since yesterday. It's about half the size of my hand. No runny nose, fever, coughing etc. Vet is coming tomorrow.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:22 AM  
Started

Send a message via Yahoo to GreyDot
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbequ4002 View Post
It's to the inside of the large part of her jaw. It feels like it's attached to the tissues underneath. I noticed it yesterday a.m. but have been out of town for a few days before that and had someone feeding for me. It wasn't there a few days ago and it hasn't gotten any bigger since yesterday. It's about half the size of my hand. No runny nose, fever, coughing etc. Vet is coming tomorrow.
If it's a sudden kind of thing, taking into account the size and location, I'd rule out the thyroid. The thyroid is located uppermost on the neck - right where it joins into the throatlatch, in that 'corner', and it sound like your mare's lump is on the head, under the jaw, not in the throatlatch. It still can't hurt to do the ultrasound, especially if there is no heat coming from it, and if there is no temp, if she's eating OK and doesn't appear to be bothered. Good luck - and post an update when your vet comes!
Old 05-07-2008, 01:45 PM  
Long Yearling

My mare too has a bump. That's the my name for it anyway, 'Rebels Bump'.

It showed up last year in the spring when she began cutting canines.(Yeah, I know most mares don't have canines) Rebel has canines now and still a bump.

It kind of goes down in the winter and swells back up in the spring.

Vet says it's a lymph node and to worry if it got bigger. It's located between the jaw bones, centered between the throat latch and chin. It feels kind of bumpy and has too obvious nodes. It's about the size of 2 walnuts.

I have deduced that it must be related to enviromental factors, possibly some allergies. Human lymph nodes swell, especailly in school age children when they are getting exposed to new enviroments.

I don't know, it's a running theory... I keep an eye on it and watch for changes or depression. She's vaccinated against strangles which would be a primary concern.

In you case I would have the vet look at it for peace of mind especailly since it appeared so quick and is so big, my mares' bump is considerably smaller than your's.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:42 PM  
Coming two

Ok update on the lump. The vet said it was in lymph node and it was just a little swollen and will go away no big deal. Go figure. The swelling has gone down quite a bit.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:43 PM  
SoCo

- I am happy for you, no more worry!!

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition