Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2008, 06:32 PM  
Newborn Member

Question Lettuce & Horses,, will they get sick????

Hi all, When my barn mate went out to feed tonight there were a few heads lettuce in the pasture, can horses eat that. We don't know who put them out there, some of the heads were picked apart. Any thought about this?? Thanks Deb
Old 08-03-2008, 06:36 PM  
Halter broke

glad you asked that because I have always wondered the same thing. what else other than carrots and apples can you give your horse?
Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:39 PM  
Seasoned

Send a message via Yahoo to Horses&Soccer
Curiosity wins, I can't see how it would hurt them since it's mostly water, but...anybody know for sure?

Some days I just want to be a missing person
Horses&Soccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:49 PM  
Started

Nah it's not going to hurt them. Several times a growing season my gelding lets himself and his pasture buddy out and they visit my garden. Usually they demolish the lettuce, carrot tops, green bean plants and beet tops. Oh, and if he happens to squish a watermelon and it opens, they eat that. No bad effects have occured to day and this has been years...like 8 years now he has been doing this

Perhaps we with EDS are like race horses - one of the old traditions was to 'handicap' the greatest horses so that they would not run away from the pack. They would pile on lead weights, whatever was needed to get up to the amount of weight the handicapper said they should carry. We're handicapped because otherwise the world could not keep up with us
Iwasbornonahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:52 PM  
Long Yearling

nope it wont hurt them my horses love it
horsegirl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:10 PM  
Weanling Member

mine like mangos, papaya, strawberrys and banana's
FANNIESMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:33 PM  
Seasoned

We used to feed ours the lettuce that got overgrown from the garden as well as a variety of other garden veggies.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:42 PM  
Long Yearling

Lettuce can have a bacteria on it that doesn't affect us because of our body mass (and I would expect the same for horses since they weigh so much) but when I worked in a pet shop I was taught to never recommend it for small animals (rabbits, gerbils, guinea pigs ect.) because it could make them sick...

Visit us at www.goldencrossranch.com
Bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:48 PM  
Newborn Member

Thanks for everyone responds, my mare coliced real bad about a month ago, she had so much gas in her bowl that the vet popped a tube in her side to let the air out, it sounded like air comming out of a tire, the vet said if I would of gotten to the barn an hour later I might of come up on a dead horse, thank god it all worked out, now I watch anything she eats, better to be safe then sorry.... Thanks, Deb
Old 08-03-2008, 08:49 PM  
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Lettuce can have a bacteria on it that doesn't affect us because of our body mass (and I would expect the same for horses since they weigh so much) but when I worked in a pet shop I was taught to never recommend it for small animals (rabbits, gerbils, guinea pigs ect.) because it could make them sick...
I never heard that before. I always fed my gerbil and my rabbits all the lettuce they wanted. I stayed away from bitter lettuces like raddichio because I assumed they wouldn't like the, but I gave them all sorts of other varieties.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:53 PM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav2007 View Post
I never heard that before. I always fed my gerbil and my rabbits all the lettuce they wanted. I stayed away from bitter lettuces like raddichio because I assumed they wouldn't like the, but I gave them all sorts of other varieties.
NOt sure about horses, but I have heard this about small animals. It can give them diarrhea and make them VERY sick.

ETA: I just wanted to let you know that you have a beautiful mare.

"Never miss a good chance to shut up." -Will Rogers
thunderbaby703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:11 PM  
Yearling Member

I have given lettuce to horses with no ill effects. Is your mare a saddlebred???? She is really pretty!
Horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 10:33 PM  
Newborn Member

Yes, she is a 14yr Saddlebred, but she thinks she is 5yr, she is most of the time a good horse, but when she wants, she can be sooo bratty. Thanks Deb

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition