Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2008, 06:30 PM  
Coming two

Sudden hind leg lameness

When I came home today and went to feed my 2 year old was very very off. The vet is coming in the a.m. He and my other 2 year he is pastured with play pretty hard and often so I'm thinking he pulled something as I can find no wound or injury, heat or swelling. He literally isn't putting his left hind leg underneath himself and when he does move he drags his toe. Per vet recommendations I put him in a stall and started him on bute. Any guesses?
lbequ4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:32 PM  
Bombproof Member

Stifle, hip and or both. Sure hope it is nothing more than just a strain however. Keep us posted.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:41 PM  
Weanling Member

Dont give him any more bute until after the vet has been. It may mask the pain and make it harder for the vet.

Oops, just read as per vet in that case please disregard.

Hope it gets better soon.
Thekidsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:47 PM  
Kid Safe

No heat or swelling? He could've just popped his hip out, and may need a chiro more than a vet...

My mare slipped on an icey hill, and then quite suddenly seemed very lame on one hind leg, and I was pretty worried, but because I couldn't find any heat, swelling, or injury, I called my chiropractor first, and sure enough, one chiro visit later, she was 100% better. She'd just popped her hip out!

Sorry to kinda go on, but I'm just hoping it's something equally as simple with your guy!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:51 PM  
Coming two

Thanks alberta I might see if I can locate one tomorrow because it seems something like that. I palpated everywhere and couldn't find any pain, heat or swelling at all and even though his leg seems pretty useless he's moving on his own so I'm hoping it is something simple too.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:03 PM  
Halter broke

Foot abscess are a stifle lock up mabe kicked in the stifle. Foot abscess would be my first guess with the way you described it.

www.arkyhorse.com
vetjeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:34 PM  
Weanling Member

Check the second Phaylynx to see if it feel out of place. We had horse partially dislocate that joint. He had all the symptoms you described. The earlier it is treated the better. Hope thats not the problem. Good Luck
morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 03:57 AM  
Bombproof Member

When nothing is OBVIOUSLY wrong, and you can't find lumps, bumps, cuts, heat, etc. I generally think abcess also. My horse went thur a period where he tended to regularly get abcesses, very frustrating,...., b/c they appear to be in obvious pain, BUT, for no obvious reason.
Hope it's nothing more complicated than that, and he's feeling better soon.
Redboy
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:37 PM  
Coming two

well we couldn't find anything major this a.m. hoof testers didn't show any pain but maybe a subsolar abcess is trying to break out. Second guess is a minor strain. Oddly enough he's moving a little bit better now and vet wants him left out to move. However, he is pointing his toe like an abcess but I've never seen one in a back foot before. At least no bones or joints are out of place. It's been very wet here and he's barefoot so hopefully it's just an abcess.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:26 PM  
Bombproof Member

Ibequ4002,
One time my horse had 3 abcesses at the same time. Both front feet, and a hind. All he could do was lie down, all his feet hurt.
And, at first I wasn't sure what the problem was either. But when he was lying down in his stall in the middle of the day, when otherwise he would be out strolling around and grazing, I knew SOMETHING wasn't right.
I had had the farrier check him, and he really couldn't find anything with the hoof testers, no heat to speak of, so I ultimately called the vet in, did xrays, etc. None of it showed anything, but FINALLY they worked their way out.
Poor old Red, he's feet really hurt. And I was so worried about what to do, give bute??, for how long???
I was so glad when that ordeal was over for him.
Hope your horse is better soon, Redboy
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 04:15 PM  
Started

Our gelding did something very similar when he was diagnosed with a fracture of his hind sesamoid. He could barely get up one night, would not put weight on his leg, next morning we got ready to load him up for the vet and he was walking better, still off but could bear some weight. He is now just a pasture puff healing. Good Luck and best wishes!

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition