Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2008, 07:26 PM  
Halter broke

Bone dislocated????

okay..so today i drove out to the farm and saw that my horses were standing quietly in there stalls...i got my paint gelding out and tied him up so i could groom him...but while i was puttin the halter on i noticed a bump on his nose...well not ON his nose...from the tip of his left nostril about 3-4 inches above that...on the opposite side there was no bump...i felt it and he seem to have no pain as i lightly rubbed it...it felt harder to be a growth and from what i felt, it was almost like a bone...i went on and rode him and he did fine. But i am still wondering if his bone could be dislocated...i have no clue how it could have happened unless one of the other horses kicked him but there were no other marks on his face so i doubt it...i am contemplating having a vet check him out...what do you think? tomorrow i will have pics...
mustang_hope22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:39 PM  
Kid Safe

That is a very vague description on a very odd location..Pictures are a must, and if you are uncomfortable with it, then it never hurts to have your veterinarian examine him......

"Animals are such agreeable friends--they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms..." --George Eliot

In Loving Memory of Spikey...My Best Friend...I Miss You RIP 1988-2009
kanoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:46 AM  
Bombproof Member

I agree with kanoo sounds like an odd location with not much to go on. Especially with no apparent signs of any trauma and or injury. Pictures would be helpful, but only thing I can think of hard bone like in that area is the nasal bone. The thin long piece that comes over and protects the sinus/nostril openings. ?

And as well, having the vet check it out to be on the safe side is a good thing.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:58 AM  
Halter broke

thanks and sorry for such a light description...and the "bump" wasn't there the day before yesterday...I am going back out to our farm at about...5-6? so if the "bump" is still there i will take pics and post them here...if not then i can do these little things to celebrate!
Old 10-10-2008, 09:42 AM  
Pasture Pet

I had a horse with this, but don't remember what it ended up being...I do know I didn't have to worry about it or treat it, and I think it took a few months to go away. In my horse's case he didn't have any nasal discharge, if your horse does I would be more worried, or if it increases in size.

Karen
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:55 AM  
Halter broke

Thanks equinealberta...that helped...so it took a couple months to go away??? did you get a vet to check it out? and yesterday my horse had no unusual nasal discharge but i will check tonite and see if its increased in size or has discharge! thanks! very helpful!
Old 10-10-2008, 12:09 PM  
Started

I doubt it would be a bone, seeing as it is soo close to its nose. If you've seen a horse's skull you would understand.

Here is a picture do give you an idea. http://www.gentlespiritllamas.com/im...head-horse.jpg
Old 10-10-2008, 12:38 PM  
Halter broke

ooo i understand now ChasnCans...thanks...but should i still get it checked out?
Old 10-10-2008, 12:45 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to Crookedblaze
I would most certainly still get it checked. Always better safe then sorry.

It sounds like it's in a weird spot, it could be something sinus related...but other then that I have no idea what else it could be.

Four things greater than all things are...Women and Horses and Power and War -Rudyard Kipling
Crookedblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:25 PM  
Started

^
agreed. I would still get it checked, just to be on the safe side. You never know.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:19 PM  
Pasture Pet

Yes, I got it checked at the same time as he got his teeth floated. I agree you should have your vet check it when they are next out, but I don't think it requires an emergency call if it isn't painful and isn't getting bigger.

Karen
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition