Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Hoof Talk
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 11:24 AM  
Started

how to harden your horses feet????

I have a question

I have a mare, who has had a severe injury to her front hoof and pastern area.
2 summers ago she got caught up in a down wire fence and nearly cut her whole hoof off.
well now 2 yrs later and after a really bad absese this past summer things are on the mend(i hope)
but the front feet are VERY soft.
Is there anything i can put on them to harden them up?
I know i cant put a boot on it because her foot is still not in a normal shape. The absese blew out the side of her hoof and its still growing etc..ugh
Its a really long story SIGH
I have heard you can put IODINE on them..is it the stuff i can buy at the local feed store? I know here in Oregon we can only buy a the min %

I have all sorts of hoof stuff"rain maker" etc..but i dont think thats going to help.
any ideas?????

Kris
Old 02-08-2005, 11:33 AM  
Pasture Pet

Are you trying to harden the bottom or the wall?

If you are trying to harden the sole, Venice Turpentine works wonders.

If you are trying to harden the wall, you should look for suppliments containing biotin to encourage the new growth to be of better quality. Absorbines Supershine hoof polish is supposed to harden soft hoof walls as well. You have to make sure the hoof is clean though, and do not put it on the coronet.

I have a Morgan Cross who also hurt his leg which in turn affected his hoof growth. THe injury happened almost 2 years ago with a previous owner (we bought him last summer) and it is already looking much better, although I think he will always be deformed. Our main problem was that the new growth of skin above the hoof is soft and prone to be sore if we have too much moisture in the ground). I have found iodine to work well to dry up the skin, but it does not seem to affect the hoof. it does not have to be very strong to work.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:02 PM  
Started

the whole thing, her sole,walls its all soft. I have her on Horse guard..but i dont think it has enough biotin in it. I think i might call the vet and ask them if i can add a biotin suppliment to the horse guard as well.

I dont know how to explain this very well. but the back of her foot above the heal of her hoof i guess its her pastern? she has calisus(sp) from walking on that,when her foot was really bad..its really hard and dry, was thinking maybe some bagbalm might help that?

She has a scar from the back of her foot and you can tell whre it went thru her hoof. It seperated it.
I have only had her since october and she is improving alot, she is having her foot trimmed this weekend. and i think she will be goi ng on a weekly or biweekly trimming for awhile.
shes a real mess, but she has SO much heart and she loves to run and buck, she doesnt let this foot stop her.

Kris~

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquineAlberta
Are you trying to harden the bottom or the wall?

If you are trying to harden the sole, Venice Turpentine works wonders.

If you are trying to harden the wall, you should look for suppliments containing biotin to encourage the new growth to be of better quality. Absorbines Supershine hoof polish is supposed to harden soft hoof walls as well. You have to make sure the hoof is clean though, and do not put it on the coronet.

I have a Morgan Cross who also hurt his leg which in turn affected his hoof growth. THe injury happened almost 2 years ago with a previous owner (we bought him last summer) and it is already looking much better, although I think he will always be deformed. Our main problem was that the new growth of skin above the hoof is soft and prone to be sore if we have too much moisture in the ground). I have found iodine to work well to dry up the skin, but it does not seem to affect the hoof. it does not have to be very strong to work.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:54 PM  
Pasture Pet

I'd ask your farrier if he has a preferred product, but the venice turpentine is great for the sole, and it is pretty cheap. Bag Balm might help the pasturn, or White Lotion. Either would be worth a try. I think the most important thing would be to keep it clean and make sure sand does not work into the caluses or into her hoof anywhere it is cracked. If you can, keep her in dry footing as much as possible, and not at grass, particularly if there is a heavy dew or rain.

Good luck with your mare. I know I am hoping my guy will continue to improve as the hoof wall grows out, but it seems to take forever!
Old 02-08-2005, 02:40 PM  
Started

Seems hoof injuries always take a long time.
I try to keep her in dry areas most of the time. I do turn her out in when the weather is nice because i feel so bad for her*sigh*
ill have to ask my farrier(shes was being seen by someone else)
I just take it one day at a time lol

Kris~

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquineAlberta
I'd ask your farrier if he has a preferred product, but the venice turpentine is great for the sole, and it is pretty cheap. Bag Balm might help the pasturn, or White Lotion. Either would be worth a try. I think the most important thing would be to keep it clean and make sure sand does not work into the caluses or into her hoof anywhere it is cracked. If you can, keep her in dry footing as much as possible, and not at grass, particularly if there is a heavy dew or rain.

Good luck with your mare. I know I am hoping my guy will continue to improve as the hoof wall grows out, but it seems to take forever!
Old 03-11-2005, 06:11 PM  
Newborn Member

Hello Knpaints,

I know what you mean about the soft hoof. I have not found anything that hardens that off. There may be something, but I have not run across it yet.

The foot seems to produce that texture of foot until it is fully healed. It can take a very long time.

I worked on a horse that had the coffin bones penetrate in all four feet and this is what his sole (actually most of the foot) was like for months. In the last year and a half it has become normal. She may end up with a normal foot. It may be scarred, but functional.

Was she injured in the coronary band? If so, she may have a funky foot for the rest of her life. Don't worry too much though, they often can be sound even with this weird foot.

Hope this makes you feel better?

Paige
Old 03-21-2005, 05:52 AM  
Newborn Member

a friend of mine runs an adoption and she started using grain with linseed ol in it and the farrier couldn't believe the hooves, and some of those horses have bad ones and the were very much improved
Old 03-21-2005, 01:23 PM  
Weanling Member

a really good supplement for helping with hoof health is Farriers Formula...I have been super pleased with the results I have gotten from it

Closed Thread

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Hoof Talk