Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Product Reviews
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2008, 01:02 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to OSUJillyBean
Dawn Liquid Dish Soap

=====================================
- Product Info -
Manufacturer
: Dawn
Product Type/Product purpose: Liquid Dish Soap (original)
Price and Purchase info: Available at Wal-Mart, Target, etc for pretty cheap!

- Product Description -
Pros: You may not know this but Dawn liquid dish soap is actually pretty good as a flea dip! You simply scrub the animal down with dish soap, let it soak for a few minutes, and wash it off. There's something in the soap that will kill fleas but it's harmless to pets, including young dogs and cats who are not yet old enough for typical flea protection.

Cons: Ever trying bathing a reluctant kitten? Wear protective gloves! Also - it's not 100% effective but it will kill a good portion of fleas living on your pet. It can also take some time to wash off, since it is a concentrated soap, after all.

Would you recommend this to a friend?: Absolutely!

Other comments: There are many kinds of Dawn soap out there. I've only used the original version (the blue name-brand kind) and had good results.
ETA: Just an FYI - never wash your dog with Dawn (or just washing in general) 24 hours before or after the applicatino of a topical flea treatment (ie: Frontline). Washing your pet right before or after will seriously limit the product's potency.

Overall Product rating:
(8.5 out of 10)
Reviewed by: OSUJillyBean
====================================

"And speaking of Italy and sports cars that I stole there, you still owe me a yellow Porsche." Alice Cullen

Last edited by OSUJillyBean : 08-12-2008 at 10:09 AM.
OSUJillyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:54 PM  
pvf
Bombproof Member

it also works great for keeping flys off of dogs too. Mix it with water and put it in a spray bottle..

www.prairieviewfarms.net Raising Reg. Paints and Quarter horses
pvf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:04 PM  
Yearling Member

Dawn

I have used the orginal Blue Dawn for years, on the dogs as a bath, kills the fleas without the toxic chemicials. I also use on the horses in the summer months to ward off the bugs. works great.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:06 PM  
Bombproof Member

Be careful washing your dogs/cats with DAWN if you use the spot on flea control (like Frontline) b/c it will wash the stuff off.

They just had an articel in one of my horse magazines about the uses for DAWN and it is about as handy as one can have around. The biggest thing they used it for was washing halters, brushes, wraps, etc .... becasue it cuts the grease, grime and dirt.

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:32 PM  
Coming two

Barnbum--what magazine was it? Sounds like a good article. I use dawn too. Works good on getting grease out of laundry.
libbytn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:48 PM  
Coming two

ok i don't remember why he said it worked, but one of my college professors in my animal science classes said that Dawn was the best and fastest way to cure respiratory (sp) infections in calves. "just pour about 1/2 cup down their throat and they'll be cured by the next morning" and this guy is the smartest person i know when it comes to animal health so i trust him. if i remember right it has to do with the way it coats the throat.

horsebabyhehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:57 PM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by libbytn View Post
Barnbum--what magazine was it? Sounds like a good article. I use dawn too. Works good on getting grease out of laundry.

Yeah right......No clue. I get so many then give them away. Sorry.

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:48 PM  
Pasture Pet

I have used several different Dawns over the years and the origonal is awesome. I use the antibacterial with bleach for the kitchen (white countertops not my idea) on the countertops and it gets the tea stains out. Pretty much have used it on alot of stuff.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:38 PM  
Pasture Pet

I love the stuff for everything, Now for fleas? Well I am going to try that too.
Hubby says it is the best dish soap for grease and dishes HE has ever used
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:41 PM  
Greenbroke Member

LOVE dawn dish soap. When I was a kid it was the only soap that worked in our extremely hard water. Everything else left a scum on top of the water. Oh, and zest bath soap. I use dawn for everything from greasy clothes, washing dogs and horses. If soap can do it dawn does it better and now tide has put it in their laundry soap also. It has also been added to the dishwasher cubes. If it says dawn I will buy it no matter what.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:30 PM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm185western View Post
It's also great for skunked pooches, I used this recipe on my guys, worked great

1 Quart of 3 percent Hydrogen Peroxide
1/4 Cup Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon of Dawn Dish Soap ~ use the original blue stuff (breaks up the oils in the skunk spray... the baking soda and peroxide take care of the smell).

This will fizz when mixed so use it right away. It will explode if you try to store it, so make only what you will use. You can always make more if you need it.
Use like a shampoo. Work into the dog's coat thoroughly, but be careful of the dog's eyes. Use a wash cloth around the eyes. Rise thoroughly.

This works great and it is really cheap to make. One application de-skunked a dog hit at point blank range!!!

Unfortunatly I have had to use this recipe on my dogs a few times!!!! It works great! Darn skunks!!!!!
horsemom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:38 PM  
Long Yearling

It is great for killing Box Elder Bugs super fast!
AllUpHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:01 PM  
Kid Safe

I can't use it for dishes it really messes up my hands but I may have to try it on our sons cat. She has fleas bad and no amount of spray or drop is helping. Problem is she cranky, perhaps somebody on the list could stop by and demonstrate how well it works on fleas for me

Karen
Karen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:39 PM  
Coming two

I use it on our horses-it gets them squeaky clean and I can see myself in them
Old 08-19-2008, 10:36 PM  
Pasture Pet

We use dawn on the flaps of the Wintec Dressage saddles as the flaps rubbing against leather riding boots causes squeaking without it!

Karen
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:10 PM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Cole View Post
I can't use it for dishes it really messes up my hands but I may have to try it on our sons cat. She has fleas bad and no amount of spray or drop is helping. Problem is she cranky, perhaps somebody on the list could stop by and demonstrate how well it works on fleas for me

Karen
Karen, have you tried wearing rubber gloves?
ahlihaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:47 PM  
Weanling Member

FYI: Dawn is great for fleas. But ANY soap will kill a flea. Why? Because the soap suffocates them. Soap them up and let them stay soapy for 3-5 mins working it in real good. Then rinse. I work in a dog kennel. We use palmolive for washing dogs. Works fine. If the premises that your dog stays in isnt treated more fleas will just hop right back on.

I wouldnt use adams flea spray on any of my animals that stuff is like acid. I had a friend that uses it on her dogs tell me to use it for nats on the horses. I couldnt figure out why they were jumping around till some got on my hand it burns like fire. Since she recommended it i just gave her the bottle. I wont torture my animals with that stuff again. Then she admitted that her dogs yelp when she uses it. wonder why.....
Skylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:02 PM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylight View Post
FYI: Dawn is great for fleas. But ANY soap will kill a flea. Why? Because the soap suffocates them. Soap them up and let them stay soapy for 3-5 mins working it in real good. Then rinse. I work in a dog kennel. We use palmolive for washing dogs. Works fine. If the premises that your dog stays in isnt treated more fleas will just hop right back on.

I wouldnt use adams flea spray on any of my animals that stuff is like acid. I had a friend that uses it on her dogs tell me to use it for nats on the horses. I couldnt figure out why they were jumping around till some got on my hand it burns like fire. Since she recommended it i just gave her the bottle. I wont torture my animals with that stuff again. Then she admitted that her dogs yelp when she uses it. wonder why.....
Actually, dish soap doesn't suffoacte them. It eats away at their shells. It's a great insecticide. It inhibits the growth of chitin which is important in the development in the exoskeleton. I am pretty sure chitin gives the exoskeleton it's regidity.It doesn't allow it to grow, either so it will keep larvae from developing. It works the same way as a feed through fly control.

That's why it's good to put dish soap in your garden, kills all the larvae. With all the midges around I keep on thinking I need to poor it down the creek. Unfortunately I believe it's against the law.

Besides cleaning horse laundry it's also very good on a white mane/tail. It really dries it out, so i only use it right before a show and put PLENTY of conditioner in afterwords.

RIP Justin
You stole my heart and for that, I am grateful.
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:06 PM  
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsebabyhehe View Post
ok i don't remember why he said it worked, but one of my college professors in my animal science classes said that Dawn was the best and fastest way to cure respiratory (sp) infections in calves. "just pour about 1/2 cup down their throat and they'll be cured by the next morning" and this guy is the smartest person i know when it comes to animal health so i trust him. if i remember right it has to do with the way it coats the throat.
Well, thats one way to punish a filthy mouthed calf

PaintsQH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:19 PM  
Pasture Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsebabyhehe View Post

Sorry but NO!Smartest man in the world or not there is NOT way I would drench a calf with a liquid detergent. Please consult a VETERINARIAN before trying this at home.

Horsetopia Forum > Miscellaneous Horse Topics > Product Reviews