Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2009, 06:16 PM  
Started

Cleaning My Aluminum Trailer?

Our trailer is all aluminum and the roof and bumpers are polished. Over time they've gotten dirty looking and spotty. What products do you use to clean/polish the bare aluminum?
Old 03-28-2009, 06:23 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to Crookedblaze
When we had an aluminum trailer (why did we sell a 4 horse featherlite gooseneck trailer again?) I used a detail cleaner/polish for classic cars. It really made it sparkle and did a darn good job. My dad also uses it to polish his 55 wagon and it really does a great job conditioning the chrome on his aluminum bumper.

(BTW, any hot rod car show folks - check out this company. They are great.)

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-45-ad...ail-spray.aspx

Four things greater than all things are...Women and Horses and Power and War -Rudyard Kipling

Last edited by Crookedblaze : 03-28-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Crookedblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:33 AM  
Yearling Member

With aluminum trailers, you're supposed to have them acid washed every so often. It removes the oxidation, which is probably the spottiness your seeing? You can ask your local trailer dealer or I know a lot of semi trailer places offer the service as well.

Now, don't look at our aluminum trailer because I haven't ever done it!
JSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:11 PM  
Started

If you are anywhere close to any truck stops or truck washes they can do it for you. They acid wash them and they come out looking good as new. If you don't have any of them around check out a local car detailer they may be able to do it for you. I'm not sure if you can buy the acid yourself, I don't think it's difficult, but not really something I feel confident about doing myself - heaven forbid I get it all over myself.
lopintoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:40 AM  
Seasoned

There is a product for aluminum trailers called "Reliable". It's a spray that you can spray on and wipe off. I have an alum. white trailer and I get the dark streaks on it from the windows, etc. This stuff works really well, but don't let it dry! You can get it at most places that deal with trailers.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:39 PM  
Newborn Member

Aluminum Horse Trailer Cleaners

There is a new product available, it has been used commercially for about eight years. Now you can use it at home. You spray it on the trailer, wash/scrub and then rinse. It comes in two versions - one for polished aluminum and one for brushed and painted. Either one works great on horse trailers to remove oxidizing, black streaks and other road junk that doesn’t come off with soap or pressure washing. The best thing is they won't damage the finish and they are pretty reasonable. You can see some photos of before and after cleaning with them at their website.

BriteKleen Solutions sells aluminum trailer cleaners
mowgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:16 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to mingiz
Any good aluminum polish and a buffer will work if you have the time and energy. I use purple power on the white skin and it removes the black streaks. Spray on rinse off....
mingiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:05 PM  
Newborn Member

Cleaning Aluminum Trailers

Yeah, there are probably a few things that work, but I've seen this one and it is remarkable what it takes off. But not everything comes off —and a good polish is necessary to remove the deeper white pits and other stuff. But once you start making it look that good, you're committed!

On the other hand, a lot of what you can buy is harsh acidic (like truck wash baths) that will whiten and change the surface and can't be brought back. If you use the right cleaner for brushed aluminum or the cleaner for polished aluminum you won't have that problem.

These are made in North Dakota from soy and corn, and are supposed to be safe to use, if that matters.
mowgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:25 PM  
Newborn Member

Okay ~ here is the answer we have all been waiting for!! AMAZING! You have to try it...

http://www.viddler.com/explore/Mindl...ber/videos/48/
BryantFarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment