Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2010, 10:32 AM  
Halter broke

How can I keep my saddle from slipping forward?

Does anyone have any suggestions other than a crupper for keeping a saddle from slipping forward on a low-withered Haflinger?
2Horses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:42 AM  
Pasture Pet

We use a no-slip pad on our Haflinger, between the saddle pad and the saddle. We have used a crupper on her, but if we get it tight enough to help it is uncomfortable for her. Once we finally found a saddle that fits her well, though, it doesn't slip nearly as bad.
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:48 AM  
Halter broke

Carri, What type of pad and saddle do you use? I have the Wintec stock saddle, and it looks like it fits well until it slides forward. My Haflinger is a bit chubby, and that doesn't help.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:58 AM  
Bombproof Member

If the horse is rump high no matter what you use for a pad the saddle will crawl forward. Either a crupper or mule breeching is necessary to keep it in place. Mule breeching is similar to harness breeching and is more comfortable for the horse than a crupper.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:47 PM  
Halter broke

Thanks Slim, I hadn't thought of mule breeching. That has to be more comfortable than a crupper.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:55 PM  
Weanling Member

IMO if you fit breeching tight enough to prevent the saddle slipping forward, it'll be too tight and interfere with the horse's movement. A bit like breastplates - they stop the saddle going right back in an emergency but they're not designed to stop it slipping back in normal use.

I'd go with the non-slip pad, but have a look at the horse's belly profile. If there's no definite girth-groove and an upward curve from brisket to behind the elbow then you've really got problems - a pimple-rubber pad fixed centrally on the girth can help that.

But the tree width has got to be exactly right. Too wide and it slips forward; too narrow and it....slips forward! And you'll probably find it helps if that saddle is flocked with the level biased more to the horse (so the pommel sits slightly lower than would be normally considered ideal) than the rider. This helps put the maximum area of panel on the horse's back - the more friction the better.
Haffies are notorious for putting on fat over the shoulders in summer. On past experience I bet you've mainly got a tree width problem. Sorry.

PS. If you pull your girth really tight to try to stop the saddle moving, you'll make the problem worse. A slightly looser girth often helps. Slightly.

Good luck.

Last edited by unclearthur : 06-28-2010 at 02:57 PM.
unclearthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:56 PM  
Bombproof Member

A rubber girth can cause the area to sweat profusely causing tenderness and a breakdown of the skin. If harness breeching can prevent a heavy wagon from crawling up a horse's backside on the downhill without chafing, breeching can also help prevent a saddle from crawling forward. The quality of the breeching is what can make the difference.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:51 PM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Horses View Post
Carri, What type of pad and saddle do you use? I have the Wintec stock saddle, and it looks like it fits well until it slides forward. My Haflinger is a bit chubby, and that doesn't help.
Are you sure that saddle fits your Halfie properly? I'm asking because we have a very stocky QH/Morgan gelding, and my Bates Outback (the leather version of your saddle) wouldn't fit him properly with the wide gullet in, and you aren't supposed to use the X-Wide gullet on those saddles. I'd venture that your saddle is too narrow, which is causing the slippage. Can you post pics of the saddle on your horse?
Sonseeahray's_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:50 PM  
Halter broke

Hey, Sonseeahray's_girl, I haven't checked this thread in a while; so I didn't notice your post. I will work on getting pictures posted. It will probably be the beginning of next week. When I measured him with the measuring tool that comes with the Wintec, it was between medium-wide and wide. I use the wide gullet. My Haflinger is probably not as wide as some. He's just CHUBBY with low withers, and his girth line is very far forward (right behind his elbow). The saddle leaves a nice, even sweat pattern.

I'm working on his chubbiness with exercise, and I just started using a grazing muzzle today (poor boy).

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment