Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2010, 09:39 AM  
Seasoned

What tool for cutting 1/2 rubber mat

Does anyone know what tool will cut those heavy, dense rubber mats that are used for horse stalls, trailer floors, etc? I've tried a circular saw, which is what the tack shop owner thought would work, it works, but it's impossible to cut a straight line. Plus, it vibrates the mat and makes it dangerous for the user. Any ideas?
Old 07-26-2010, 09:46 AM  
Coming two

We used a circular saw when we cut ours. We marked them first with a permanent markers and then cut them. A saws-all will also work but the edge won't be quite as smooth/clean cut.

No mountain is too tall to climb if the first step is belief in oneself.
3horses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:04 PM  
Yearling Member

When we were putting mats in our barn we had troubles with his also. We tried a jigsaw, which worked, but then we broke the blade. The circular saw didn't work at all for us, I don't know why, but it burnt the rubber and ended up being a real mess. We ended up using a knife, like a heavy duty exacto knife type knife, and hosed the mats down before we cut. It took 4-5 passes but it worked and we were able to keep fairly neat cuts.

Sport D' Hiver-my lion hearted, dark bay, 1992 model TB, retired turf champion with winnings totaling over $500,000
XXSundanceXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:08 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to mingiz
Best way seems to score the mat several times with a box cutter. As you score it bend it and it will cut easier...I used a rotozip on mine. Wasn't the straightest cut but for a stall who cares, horse didn't complain....
mingiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:36 PM  
Kid Safe

Look for an Orcon Carpet Knife...uses razor blade type blades. You have to cut through it more than once (use a straight edge)...but that is actually the tool that is intended to cut it with.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:21 PM  
Started

when we did our mats we used a white chalk for the line and then used a sharp razor knife. Its alot of work but once you break into it and get a good start going its easier
Old 07-26-2010, 05:49 PM  
Conformation Clinic Coordinator

Yup, go for the box cutter/razor knife to score the line where you want to cut the mat, then just bend the mat over the edge of a 2x4 or raised edge (or bend it over as you re-score the cut) and start scoring the line deeper with every pass (work on one spot and work the cut down the whole length section by section). Once you get the hang of it (it takes about one or two cuts tops) two people can cut and lay mats in a stall in about 15-20 minutes on a prepared surface.

It's a lot easier than using a circular saw or saber saw.
gilmorehorsemanship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:31 PM  
Halter broke

I used a hand sheetrock saw for ours. The 1/2 inch rubber burned in our circular saw and the jig saw broke blades.

You should have seen my "guns" when I finished sawing those mats!! My daughter held them and I sawed the old fashion way!!!

It worked great and look super in the trailer!!
Daddy Groom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:37 PM  
Newborn Member

Skill saw works great - if

You need to use a plywood blade with the small teeth - the smaller the better but any will do. It will take a bit of practice to find the right speed to move the saw - too fast and the blade stops, too slow and it starts to stick. The speed you move the saw slows down the blade a bit to avoid burning - going too slow keeps the rpms too high and starts the burning/sticking. Plus, have some way for the cut portion to drop away from the saw. I use (1) a low wall (about 9 inches high) so that the cut off portion drops down to the ground or (2) back gate of the pickup with someone to catch the cut off portion and someone to hold the remainder in place. WEAR GOGGLES/GLASSES because bits of rubber are thrown everywhere.
Aglaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment