Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2012, 01:38 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Fly masks with ear protection

We had a very, very mild winter with very little snow. It's been crazy warm already, we broke high temp records eight days in a row last week and heading well into the 80's for the weekend again, which will likely break more records. Geesh. As a result, pesky bugs are already a problem most especially the little black flies that attack their ears. So, this year I'm wanting to try a fly mask with ears. The mesh ear covers in the ones I've looked at seems pretty flimsy, like it wouldn't handle the day-to-day wear and tear a horse can render very well. I'm sure a good fit is key and my Teddy with his big, ole hammer head will be an issue and the old mare is the exact opposite; she'll prob need a cob or Arab sized model.

If anyone has any recommendations or stay away from advice on one they've tried I'd sure appreciate the help. Thanks .

"Ye've the look of a scoundrel! And a dandysprat and a ragamuffin. Though I'll admit, for all that, ye could yet be a congressman". From Jim Butcher's "Ghost Story"
Jean Genie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:18 PM  
Weanling Member

We've used fly masks with ears for years, after just such a biting fly problem with one particular horse.

The ear covers are less hardwearing but unless you have a horse which habitually rubs its ears or browses hedgerows should last a couple of seasons. We're lucky - our three all took full-size masks so if one destroyed the ears we just swopped with another that wasn't bothered by those darned little black flies.

The main problem we found with masks was width across the eyes. You need more room than you think because of the lashes.

One of our horses used to walk up every morning just to have his mask put on. When he lost it in the field, he took off its (cheaper) replacement inside a couple of hours and absolutely refused to have it re-fitted. Because when we checked closely, his eyelashes stuck through the mesh.

Just goes to show horses aren't stupid!

http://cavalrytales.wordpress.com
Old 03-29-2012, 01:36 PM  
Started

I've used the Farnam SuperMasks with ears for years, and actually just put them on today for the first time this year. We get really bad gnats that go for the eyes and ears, on humans too! While the ear covering material may look flimsy, I've never had it rip. I've had them last more than 2 years. I've got horses turned out together, and plenty of trees they can rub them off on, and they RARELY come off. The horses actually figured out pretty quickly how helpful they are; sometimes I won't put the masks on first thing if the gnats don't look bad, then if they get bad, I'll put the masks on. The horses will see me coming with the masks and come up and practically shove their heads into them! I've seen other masks with ears that have the same stiff material over the ears as covers the rest of the face, and they just don't look comfortable at all. I don't think the horses can move their ears very easily with that type at all. Happy shopping!
sfl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:44 PM  
Started

I just rub either Desitin or vaseline in their ears.

There's more to life than horses ----- but NOT much!

Valerie62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:07 PM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie62 View Post
I just rub either Desitin or vaseline in their ears.
What Yuk. Isnt that too gooby and collect the dirt and drip down in their
ears ???????????????

I never clip the inside of the ears, let the hair grow for protection from the bugs.

Im not a fan of the farnam fly masks b/c of the fur around the edges and the heavy mesh. Horses sweats too much.

The mask I get is a light mesh with a nice soft material around the edge that is the same material as a workout shirt, soft and non irriating and doesnt cause swet. Not
sure the name of it off hand but look around. There are quite a few fly mask makers out there. Just make sure the ear piece is big enough for the ear. Some make them small and the ear is crammed and caused pain.

Last edited by BarnBum : 03-29-2012 at 02:24 PM.
BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:08 PM  
Welcome Wagon

I've tried the fly masks with ears a few times now. I love the idea of my poor horses' ears being protected, but one of my mares in particular (Zena) is apparently not so thrilled with the idea. She manages to rub the mask until the ears tear off every time. I've never had a mask with ears last more than a month tops. I eventually gave up and just went back to using regular fly masks without ear coverage and I just brush out the insides of my girls' ears each day. Both girls love their fly masks and will come to me to have them put on, but for some reason Zena just can't stand to wear a fly mask with ear protection.

Proud mom to:
Zena - 11 year old black & white APHA Tobiano Paint mare
Sis - 17 year old grade POA mare
In loving memory of Roxy (gray OTTB) - 00-08. RIP my sweet girl.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:19 PM  
Yearling Member

I only buy the ones with the ears on them. Sometimes harder to find, but Ive never had any problems with them. I have a few of them now, no ears have come off or needed to be resewn.
Dreaming Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:36 PM  
Seasoned

I like the cashel brand fly masks. I have a couple that are prob 8-10 yars old and still look good. I have always found clipping the ears to help. The gnats dont have a place to hide...just my experience.
recklesshoundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:41 PM  
Pasture Pet

I tried the cashel ones too for the first time last year. I really like their fit, and so far seem to be wearing well.
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:49 PM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnBum View Post
What Yuk. Isnt that too gooby and collect the dirt and drip down in their
ears ???????????????
Nope ... none of the above. I never have any problem. I don't goob it in their ears...just a thin layer is all you need.

There's more to life than horses ----- but NOT much!

Valerie62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:14 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via AIM to Smilie
Fly masks work great, most of the time, and I have used both the eared ones and the one without ears
However, using the eared version one year, a hornet managed to get into the mask, and had I not been home, and the horse in the corral, could have been a very serious wreak, as my horse was running blindly, trying to get away from the trapped hornet
The mask seemed to fit tight, but that incident has left me hesitant to use them , unless I am home and the horse is in a paddock
I know it was just a fluke, but still.....
Old 04-01-2012, 03:56 AM  
Coming two

I love the Cashel with ears. The ear fabric is flimsy because they don't want to rub sore spots on the ears and they want the ears to be able to move freely. If the ear fabric wears out before the mask, you can make your own with the fabric that basketball shirts are made of. I went to GoodWill and picked up a shirt for a buck and had enough for more ears than I would ever need. I also like Cashel because the masks are made in the U.S. - a lot by women doing piecework in their own homes. When I had Dixie, they custom made her mask. She needed a draft size to fit around the jaw, but the long nose was 2 inches shorter and the mule ears were two inches longer than the standard mule ears. They made her masks for years.

The hornet scenario sounds horrible!

I also like the Chashel quiet ride mask. For an animal bothered by bugs on rides, it's great. It has vecro tabs that attach to the headstall.

I rub fly spray on my hands and use that on the ears. Works good.

Sweet Dixie, always a part of my heart
DixieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:38 AM  
Weanling Member

I have used Kensington fly masks with ears and they are very durable and with the bug eye they dong rub the eye.
rivherrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:02 AM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilie View Post
Fly masks work great, most of the time, and I have used both the eared ones and the one without ears
However, using the eared version one year, a hornet managed to get into the mask, and had I not been home, and the horse in the corral, could have been a very serious wreak, as my horse was running blindly, trying to get away from the trapped hornet
The mask seemed to fit tight, but that incident has left me hesitant to use them , unless I am home and the horse is in a paddock
I know it was just a fluke, but still.....
I have heard that also where bugs get trapped up in the fly mask.
Glad your horse is ok.

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:11 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Thanks! The only ones I'll be able to inspect will be the Farnams at my ag store. Any other brand will have to be an online purchase so I'll be guessing as to fit and quality. I do like the look of the Cashels.

I've tried a couple different brands of traditional earless masks for my big-headed Teddy and his problem area is the width between the ears. First one I elected to keep and try to customize by cutting a slit on either side of his ears for more room. Worked OK but not ideal. Next one I tried I returned to seller rather than hack up because of the same problem. So, I'm anticipating having this issue, only magnified, with the eared model, which is why I've come to you good folks for advice .

I don't clip ears either and have a Farnam roll-on bug repellant that helps but has to be constantly reapplied. I also apply it to the horse's face, following the line of the mask in order to discourage any sneaky bugs trying to get inside. To my knowledge, I've never had a bug stuck inside but agree that could be bad. Just slightly off topic but I can remember my hubby putting on a pair of jeans a few summers ago that I had hung outside to dry and, unfortunately for him, there was a bee of some sort in one of the pant legs that stung him several times as he madly cavorted about the room spewing language I'll not repeat here whilst trying to get the dang things off . It's funny to think about it now, not so much back then. Since then, I always bounce my clothes in the dryer after bringing them in from outside to make sure I shake out and fry any freeloaders .

You know, the idea of customizing interests me. If I can find a traditional mask that fits him well and then somehow add ears to it, that may be the answer. Otherwise I predict buying and returning a lot of masks trying to find a good fit and shipping costs, like everything else, have gone up. If I have to pay it both ways, to get here and return, that'll add up .

"Ye've the look of a scoundrel! And a dandysprat and a ragamuffin. Though I'll admit, for all that, ye could yet be a congressman". From Jim Butcher's "Ghost Story"
Jean Genie is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment