Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which Would You Choose To Purchase?
Pessoa 4 11.76%
Stubben 11 32.35%
Crosby 6 17.65%
Ovation 0 0%
Other 13 38.24%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2007, 02:22 PM  
Long Yearling

English Saddle Brands...What is the Best?

Alright all you English riders, I need your advice.

Im looking to purchase an English saddle in the next month or two, and would like to know what everyone else rides in. In your opinion, what brands have the best quality AP saddles and what brands have the worst?

I would like something that is forward enough for light jumping, but deep enough for flat work. And I cant stress enough that I need something quality that is going to last. Synthetic is out of the question.

Most of my friends have Pessoas, and I was considering purchasing one until I heard that the seams tend to rip Not good for a $2000 saddle. Does anyone here have a Pessoa? If so, how do you like it?

Im also considering Stubben and possibly Crosby.

A good friend of mine has an Ovation that she really likes, and it had an affordable price tag....but keep in mind that she is very heavily into WP and that saddle only gets used twice a year (at the most).

Any thoughts, opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated. I've also added a poll.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:28 PM  
Yearling Member

I'd have to say Steuben 100%! There alot of good english saddles out there, Pessoas, Crosbys', Dovers... but nothing will hold up like a Steuben.
I'm not sure about the new ones, because I prefer the vintage ones, but my show saddle is 25+ years old and you would never know.
It's almost like they get better with age.
It's been stuffed and restuffed depending on what type of horse I was riding, and held up beautifully.
Also, it's like a couch... when the Haflingers put there head between their ankles and try and launch you, there's no moving!
You're not going to go wrong with most of the recognized english saddle makers, but I would definatly try out Steuben!

Be Something You Love and Understand~ Lynard Skynard
NHIceGSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:29 PM  
Long Yearling

I am a big fan of the "classic" brands. I have been riding in a Pandur (German) for 35 years. You really do get what you pay for. The Passier and Stubben are nice, I also like Crosby, Barnes, and the Pessoa, although I've never owned one.
So much comes down to fit, it must fit you and your horse. Any reputable shop should let you take it for a test ride with a deposit for damages.
If you narrow it down by bugging people at a good shop, for the specifics of each (some are more forward, close contact, more or less leg support, short or long flaps) then you might be able to find one on Ebay or classifieds.
Care of it is important. I soaked mine in neatsfoot although I've heard it can rot stitching. A good quality saddle if looked after will last you a lifetime so it's worth taking your time and getting what you really want.
I'm not crazy about adjustable trees, it seems to me you lose some strength and integrity that way.
Make sure you ride the saddle before you buy!
good luck

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition Monty Python
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:43 PM  
Newborn Member

English saddle

I have a 12 year old Crosby Freestyle dressage saddle which I bought from an eBay seller. I love it. The saddle is in excellent shape. If I were to purchase an AP saddle, it would either be another Crosby, or a County Despri. County saddles are also great. You can't go wrong with either. Best of luck in your search.
patticakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:57 PM  
Coming two

I have a Pessoa and I absolutley love it! With every saddle that I have ridden in this is my favorite, other then an hermes of course

My saddle is about 8 years old and I have had no problems with seams coming undone.

Here is a picture of mine.

Mine is an older style Pessoa. All the newer ones that I see are not made like this anymore, perhaps the newer ones are the ones that have poor seams?

Jena <3
babycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:59 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
I'll be the odd ball here. I rode in a Caprilli by Bates for two years in Pony Club. It was very comfortable to ride in both in arena work and on the trail. I did dressage in it (lower level) and jumped up to 3'6" on both an Appy and a Trakener mare. I thought it was a very nice, classy looking saddle.

When I bought it I had no idea how much it was worth and what it was. I had a certain amount budgeted and it came in under that because it had a very large scratch on it from show room wear and tear. I rubbed the scratch out and had a brand new saddle for half price. You don't even want to know what I got on trade in for it when I sold it.

Before I bought my Bates I borrowed a friends Pessoa A/P and loved that but couldn't afford the price tag brand new and couldn't find a decent used.

Both of these saddles stood up to the wear and tear of two teenage girls throwing them around and riding anything with hair in them.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:07 PM  
Long Yearling

My Mom and I both have Crosby Prix de Nations, really like them. Right now I am looking for a wide tree for the 3 wide guys, I have my eye on a Harry Dabbs ( I have heard good things about them) and a few Crosbys.

Yes, the newer Pessoa's are made in Argentina now and from what I have heard they aren't as well made. But, I have had the chance to ride in a older model and it was very very nice.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:26 PM  
Coming two

I dont really ride in a saddle anymore, and when I do its western, but I would ride in a stubben, or a crosby english.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:46 PM  
Weanling Member

Here goes my $0.02 worth.

I don't (usually) try to buy based on brand. I go to the tack shop that has about 300 new and used saddles and sit in everything my size, figure out what I like, then look around for the best price.

I've ridden in a lot of different kinds of saddles. My dad has a Passoa- beautiful saddle, but beware that soft leather does not wear well under hard prolonged use.

I used to have a Harry Dabbs- same problem until I replaced both the knee panels and the seat with french panel leather (longer lasting). That saddle is on consignment due to not fitting me anymore. Ya'll PM me if you're interested.

My mom swears by Stubben. She had one that lasted 30 years, but I don't care for the design of her new one.

Other saddles include Keiffer, County, Parker, Passier, and an old monoflap that I know is German, but can't find a maker's mark on it anywhere.

Currently I ride in a Prestige 2000D (Italian) for flatwork, and a Berney Bros. Dublin Show Jumper (Irish) for SJ and XC. Both are lovely saddles, the Berney especially is renowned for making a long lasting saddle.

If you really look around, you can find the more expensive saddles more reasonably priced, maybe used or "scratch and dent."
Old 01-02-2007, 07:46 PM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
With every saddle that I have ridden in this is my favorite, other then an hermes of course
Oh trust me BabyCakes, I've had my eyes on a Hermes saddle too!! The Brasilla is gorgeous...boy do I love that saddle. Your Pessoa looks great by the way. Im not opposed to buying used and have checked every single English saddle (over 3000) that E-Bay has to offer. Most of the used ones that I would even consider buying all look like crap. For a few hundred bucks more, I would be better off getting a new one. I do know they look different in person though.

Any about Harry Dabbs WYJumper and Littonian, I have heard good things about him. He designs a line for Jaguar, and they are beautiful.

So the French leather is longer lasting Littonian? Good to know.

Thanks for everyones advice, I think Im going to go check out some tack stores this week and see what I can find. Im also going to look online for some of the ones you guys have mentioned that I havent heard of.

Keep the advice comming and thanks again!

Keep the opinions comming![/quote]
Old 01-02-2007, 09:12 PM  
Weanling Member

I recently bought my dream saddle, a Bruno PJ Original ( I have wanted one as long as I can remeber!) I wasnt looking for a saddle because I have a very nice Luc Childeric (now for sale!) But I found this wicked website and got a steal of a deal, its a 2001 model but never used as it was a (cant think of the word but like an example) I got it for half the price as I would in a tack store! Couldnt turn it down!

I love because 1. Its french and the leather just seems better quality
2. Its close contact but its so deep when your horse (or you) get bumpy it hold you in place better! Some people find it too deep but I love it!

My Childeric broke in great and (also french) is in Great condition 7 years later. Great saddle as well, but only half deep (kind of equitationy)

Anyhoo....... Long story short,
If you're looking for French try french-used-saddles.com

SORRY for the story!
Alberta Lolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:49 PM  
Long Yearling

I'll let you know if I end up getting the Harry Dabbs (it was made for True Brit), but I did just replace a bridle that was falling apart with a jaguar- I really like if that helps any.

Littonian, how can you tell if it is french leather? Is it a different color?
Old 01-02-2007, 11:09 PM  
Greenbroke Member

My vote is for Stubben too, mine is also 25+ yrs old, hasn't been used in ages as the horses I've had recently were wide backed QH, bought it for my last, now dearly departed TB. I have a hunch it just might fit my coming 3 yr old App colt, he's a big gangly guy, has more the build of his way-back TB ancestors than a stocky QH type. Have to get it cleaned up and restuffed and would expect to get many more years of use out of it. It has a wonderful deep and comfortable seat. I also had a Crosby that I didn't like at all, can't remember the model.
Jean Genie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:41 PM  
Long Yearling

Thanks again for the advice everyone!!

For everyone who voted in the Poll as "Other", what other saddles do you prefer that havent been mentioned and why?
Old 01-03-2007, 02:59 AM  
Yearling Member

I would also say Stubben. They do get better with age, they seem to fit alot of horses and they hold their price better than most others. My daughter rides in a stubben tristan and I am looking for a dressage saddle by stubben. What I need is a 18" Romnus wide tree. And the stubben allpurpose are great.
repetesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:55 AM  
Pasture Pet

I have a Crosby Elite that is worth its weight in gold - comfortable and dependable

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:27 PM  
Long Yearling

Under the other category, I would highly reccomend Pandur (German, it fit me better than the Stueben and Passier I tried), if you can get one they are about 4500.00 new. The eventers in our barn have been buying Jaguar (I don't know if this is the Harry Dabbs line) They retail around 3500.00 but seem to take the abuse very well and offer a secure deep seat. I liked the old Bates, but haven't ridden a new one, ditto with the Barnes.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition Monty Python
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:28 PM  
Pasture Pet

I personally just bought a Toulouse close contact saddle, and I LOVE it, it is the most comfortable saddle I have ever ridden on. VERY reasonably priced, too. Definitely not in the majority, though! Toulouse used to be the saddle maker for Pessoa, until he became famous and created his own line of saddles. It is a french saddle. I have gone to this from a Courbette Alpina, and it is much more comfortable and feels more secure.
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:46 AM  
Yearling Member

I love Wintec! Especially my Isabell dressage saddle and my 500. They are so incredibly comfortable! And easy to keep clean! That's a real plus for me, bc when I buy a saddle, I expect it to last through some lessons and all the riding we do! Of course, the prices do not hurt either. I guess once my daughter starts competing seriously we'll bump up to a Crosby, but right now, we're good.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:54 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via MSN to Kahlua_Twist
I love the Delgranges....*sigh* like sitting on a cloud! I also like Bates Caprilli and Stubben but only the old Stubbens, the new ones I find too hard and need years of breaking in! I couldn't afford the Bates Caprilli, so I got the Wintec and it's just as nice, but not leather. I love it!
Kahlua_Twist is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment