Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2008, 11:25 PM  
Seasoned

Bits & Tongue Tie downs on Race Horses?

Okay so I was looking at pictures of race horses and I have noticed a couple of things that didnt make sense and some that did. PLEASE EXPLAIN?

Okay 1st off, it appears in the photos, that the horses for the most part are being raced in a jointed snaffle(?) then there is a solid metal ring in front of the bit that is attached and the ring of the bit? What would be the purpose of that ?

And then I am assuming the next thing from what I can tell , looks like a piece of string(?) to tie the tongue down? I could kinda see that , but is that what its for ? ( Is it to keep them from biting their own tongue? or to keep the bit in perfect position?) Then again that comes back to what the heck is the other metal ringy thingy

Never have seen a bit like that in my tack catalogs - NOT LIKE I race horses or anything but just seen like something that didnt make sense-

PLEASE ESPLAIN TO THE UN_EDGE_A_MA_CATED at least in race horses
Old 08-22-2008, 02:49 PM  
Halter broke

I know they tie down the toungue because some horses inhale it and then choke to death. The snaffle is used because the nutcracker action causes the horse to stick its nose out (to "win by a nose"). I know exactly what metal ring you are talking about, but that is one question I cannot answer, sorry!
mafarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:57 PM  
Seasoned

Anybody? I am really intrigued as to what sorta contraption they make those poor babys(literally) wear.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:40 AM  
Pasture Pet

THe bit with the rings is sometimes called a Dexter Snaffle Ring bit. The reins attach to the snaffle looking part, with a ring linked to the snaffle on each side. When one reins is pulled on, the ring puts pressure on the horse's jaw and cheek and helps to hold the horse straight (in theory).

Sometimes the ring is shaped more like a chifney bit, with rings on the lower part of the ring which is then used for leading as well, as it gives the handler more control.

The tongue tie keeps the horse from swallowing its tongue during the race or playing with its tongue. Racers that use the Dexter in particular will usually have their tongue tied to keep them from getting it stuck between the ring and the snaffle. Race horse people are usually very careful to remove the tongue tie as soon as the horse is done the race or work out, and usually before the horse is even off the track.

Karen
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:54 PM  
Seasoned

Thank you so much! It totally makes sense, but having never seen a bit like that in person outside of the pictures, had no clue. Thanks - I was just curious!!
Old 03-15-2010, 11:53 AM  
Newborn Member

Red face Straight From The jock's mouth

Check out my detailed write up of tongue ties here: http://delilawagton2010.wordpress.co...0-tongue-ties/
Let me know what you think.
~Delila
dhamiltonjockey is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Tack, Apparel and Equipment